Some Kinda Bonita's 40 gal breeder

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
So excited to finally start this hobby off right. Had a failed 30 gallon tank because I didn't do the proper research, but learning from those mistakes this time around.
I'm two weeks into the cycle and just saw my nitrates skyrocket on the test tonight. Can't wait for the diatom bloom soon!!

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Congrats, setting up a new tank is the best!! got a stocking list planned? And what kind of equipment are you using?

OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Congrats, setting up a new tank is the best!! got a stocking list planned? And what kind of equipment are you using?
Planning for a pair of clowns and shrimp/goby pair, and accidentally have a peppermint shrimp already - he hitched a ride in on some live rock.

I lucked out and the guy we bought the tank from had a reef octopus 110 skimmer he gave us because he thought it was busted and didn't feel like fixing it. Quick vinegar bath and it's running like new! This is the first time having a sump, so I'm loving the extra space for equipment. The tank was used and came pre-plumbed, but after some further research the setup he had isn't great. It's really loud, so we're thinking of switching it to a bean animal overflow.

Lighting is a AI hydra 52, but I might end up selling that and going for 2 of the 26s to get rid of some of the shadow effect. Probably my first upgrade will be a new ATO since I'm running my Tunze nano from the first tank, and want to go for the full sized osmolator.

HudsonReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new tank and welcome back to the hobby! I think you're really going to enjoy having a sump It makes cleaning a lot easier. Im currently building out a 40 breeder as well so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Awesome! Congrats!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Just upgraded the RODI unit with a TDS meter! The BRS tube cutter was so worth the $6. Made the install quick and easy
Congrats on the new RODI unit - it is such an important and helpful piece of equipment!

code4

View Badges
Reaction score
What BRS announcement? New controller, upgrade? I also use infinite controllers. Even on quarantine tanks.

OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
What BRS announcement? New controller, upgrade? I also use infinite controllers. Even on quarantine tanks.
BRS paired with Inkbird to make their own heater controller. The reason I wish I had that one was it's two heating outlets instead of a heat and cool outlet. I don't ever see myself needing a chiller in my climate, so a backup heater would've been nice

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new tank.. gotta love a 40 breeder :) I need to invest in one of those little RO tubing cutters myself.

How LOYAL are you to your salt brand for your reef tank?

• I will never switch salts

Votes: 44 8.0%
  • It would take a lot for me to switch

Votes: 144 26.1%
  • I would switch depending on the reason

Votes: 239 43.3%
  • I could easily be persuaded to switch

Votes: 50 9.1%
  • I have no loyality to my salt

Votes: 75 13.6%

Online statistics

Members online