Some Kinda Bonita's 40 gal breeder

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So excited to finally start this hobby off right. Had a failed 30 gallon tank because I didn't do the proper research, but learning from those mistakes this time around.
I'm two weeks into the cycle and just saw my nitrates skyrocket on the test tonight. Can't wait for the diatom bloom soon!!

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, setting up a new tank is the best!! got a stocking list planned? And what kind of equipment are you using?

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, setting up a new tank is the best!! got a stocking list planned? And what kind of equipment are you using?

Planning for a pair of clowns and shrimp/goby pair, and accidentally have a peppermint shrimp already - he hitched a ride in on some live rock.

I lucked out and the guy we bought the tank from had a reef octopus 110 skimmer he gave us because he thought it was busted and didn't feel like fixing it. Quick vinegar bath and it's running like new! This is the first time having a sump, so I'm loving the extra space for equipment. The tank was used and came pre-plumbed, but after some further research the setup he had isn't great. It's really loud, so we're thinking of switching it to a bean animal overflow.

Lighting is a AI hydra 52, but I might end up selling that and going for 2 of the 26s to get rid of some of the shadow effect. Probably my first upgrade will be a new ATO since I'm running my Tunze nano from the first tank, and want to go for the full sized osmolator.

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First sighting of our peppermint hitchhiker since he disappeared in the tank! We had given up on him surviving the cycle last week.

IMG_20190828_211512.jpg

HudsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank and welcome back to the hobby! I think you're really going to enjoy having a sump It makes cleaning a lot easier. Im currently building out a 40 breeder as well so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! Congrats!

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded the RODI unit with a TDS meter! The BRS tube cutter was so worth the $6. Made the install quick and easy

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just upgraded the RODI unit with a TDS meter! The BRS tube cutter was so worth the $6. Made the install quick and easy

Congrats on the new RODI unit - it is such an important and helpful piece of equipment!

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New heater controller and switches! Bought the inkbird controller just a few weeks before the BRS announcement. Wish I had the two heater plugs instead of the cooler plug. I got the BRS titanium heater to go with this controller instead of using the old heater I had.
MVIMG_20191111_201120.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What BRS announcement? New controller, upgrade? I also use infinite controllers. Even on quarantine tanks.

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What BRS announcement? New controller, upgrade? I also use infinite controllers. Even on quarantine tanks.
BRS paired with Inkbird to make their own heater controller. The reason I wish I had that one was it's two heating outlets instead of a heat and cool outlet. I don't ever see myself needing a chiller in my climate, so a backup heater would've been nice

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank.. gotta love a 40 breeder :) I need to invest in one of those little RO tubing cutters myself.

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad week. The power cord connection in the Inkbird controller ended up being loose, and cut off power to our heater with no alarm. Temps crashed and we lost our three fish, and it doesn't look like any of the corals are recovering. One snail and a shrimp seemed to have survived the ordeal, but I'm having a hard time working up the courage to jump back in with new livestock.

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found the time to get started on our mixing station! Dry fit is complete, now to finish all the gluing... Can't wait for the neptune DOS to show up next week to set up automatic water changes!

We still haven't gotten any replacement fish after the crash this spring - decided to spend the money on upgrading the system to get a more stable environment. Once the auto water changes are set up we're going to start looking for some livestock again.

IMG_20200628_174734.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank crash :( The new mixing station looks great, nicely done! Gotta get back on that horse.. lol

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! Got a little excited making the first batch of saltwater to use with the auto water change system that I didn't realize my husband left all the bulkheads hand tight. A few turns with the wrench, and we were good to go!

Very excited waiting on the latest BRS order - hose should be showing up today to run the DOS to the tank. Bought some cable clips from Lowe's this weekend hoping they'll be good to mount the lines.

For all those with an auto water change set up - how do you attach your hoses to the new saltwater reservoir?

IMG_20200628_173908.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back