OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not see a bacterial film during 8 hours of aeration. Logically, I understand that it will not be able to form.
Right, that is not enough time for large biofilms to form from a sterile environment. You have ti make sure you don’t overdose on bacteria and cause rapid oxygen depletion too! You have to factor in your entire tank’s inhabitants.

Once you cut the aeration, you have to begin to use what you produced and refrigerate. You have to shake every now and again, but the issue is long term settling.
For our use case and ensuring that you use all of the concoction in a short time things should be ok

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
_DSC9157.JPG

An aquacultured gem in the making!

_DSC9162.JPG

RTE 66 Merlin's Staff

_DSC9104.JPG

CRT Peachy Delight

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video and you said you left the country for a month and you saw losses from stopping the concoction cold turkey.. how do you think frags are gonna fare if you sell them to somebody or put them in a new tank without the gut loaded bacteria?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I watched the video and you said you left the country for a month and you saw losses from stopping the concoction cold turkey.. how do you think frags are gonna fare if you sell them to somebody or put them in a new tank without the gut loaded bacteria?
This was due to my system being super cramped and overloaded. All frags that I’ve sent out lately are doing great from what I hear back

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was due to my system being super cramped and overloaded. All frags that I’ve sent out lately are doing great from what I hear back
That’s awesome! I haven’t went full bore like you yet but I’ve been feeding 2-3 times a week with a concoction like your first one.. I haven’t sold or traded any corals yet and was just curious! Hate to hook my people up and everything just die.. was also curious cause I’ll be away from my tank for a week here soon so I can’t count on anyone to feed them the bacteria..

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s awesome! I haven’t went full bore like you yet but I’ve been feeding 2-3 times a week with a concoction like your first one.. I haven’t sold or traded any corals yet and was just curious! Hate to hook my people up and everything just die.. was also curious cause I’ll be away from my tank for a week here soon so I can’t count on anyone to feed them the bacteria..
You’ll have to slowly ramp up and down, this way the corals can adjust. But given that they’re pampered they should have plenty of energy stores.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this to be the simplest way. Roughly a 16oz condiment squeeze bottle. 4mm ID x 6mm OD PTFE tube with a push connect. This way everything stays in its container, ready for the fridge. The PTFE tube can be disconnected and sterilized. The particular squeeze bottle I got has a nice attached cap and the opening is large enough for air to escape without any particulates coming out. Placing a folded paper towel under it absorbs the vibration and sound so no one finds the concoction LOL.

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been digging deep and with a lot of trial and error. I have been struggling to replicate the batch I made that was super highly active in the microscope video I did a few pages back. I believe it came down to the type of bottled bacteria I used in that concoction and it may have been warmer in the room. For that first one I just went all in and put a little bit of zeobak, FM bacto therapy, Fritzyme9, and lastly benereef(has bacteria in it) as far as bacteria goes. The other batches I tried to cut back on so many different bottles to see if it was possible to just culture more target products such as zeobak and AF pro bio S strains alone.

But with that said I don't think it all comes down to the motile active bacteria although they seem to be a great indicator of a successful batch under the scope. I am guessing from the Biofloc article you shared that there are the non motile bacteria that look like clumps? Again my first concoction seemed multiple times more potent than my later attempts. Is this what we are looking for?
biofloc.jpg

Many of the batches nearly seemed no different than if I were to mix the stuff together, shake the bottle and dump it in, before and after 8 hours of aeration. It seems to tell a very different story from batch to batch under the scope. For this reason I think it should be important for anyone trying the concoction to look at it's contents under a microscope, before and after and share your findings.

So is it the temperature, the dosing amounts, duration, or specific ingredients? Hard to tell and hopefully I am narrowing it down. I can say I had incredible things happen from that first batch including stagnated acros that are now growing and showing more polyp extension.

Another reason I am trying this method is to fight off torch killing pathogens and so far I have not seen any new symptoms. Before I would oddly see what looked like the tip of a torch floating around in the evening almost weekly and have yet to see any since that first dosing. Things are looking good.

My next test will be to find some kind of warmer to keep the concoction at 77-80f. Typically the room is roughly 72-74f.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It most likely has to do with the C:N ratio present and the available resources in the container. It’s crucial to add a feed product in there so that the bacteria can grow. There have been a few experiments with these products and from the results if I remember correctly was that most of these bacteria did not show signs of activity until actual foods were used vs dosing N and Ammonia.
You can try raising the temp, it should speed up the metabolism. If my guess is correct the majority of these bacteria are optimized to grow around 100 F.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back