coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Man I have seen refractometers cause tank crashes for so many people, experienced or not, more so experienced, because we get used to our routine. Most of the time it ends up being because the glass on the unit goes bad. Do you think that’s what happened to your digital? I do know they are much more delicate too. Since noticing so many friends have crashes like that I have always had a digital which I trust the most but also keep a top notch standard refractometer and always keep my fluid updated. I check against the two almost every other use to avoid any errors.
Thanks for sharing what happened, it’s a tough thing to realize when it ends up being something simple like that I am sure. Hopefully others will double check their results against another kind of equipment now and maybe someone will avoid a potential crash like this. Keep the superb pics coming!
Yea it must have been related to that, I’m going back to my old trusted refractometer now. Trying to maintain an sps tank through proxy can be a bit difficult especially when trying to diagnose issues with the tank.
On the other hand my anemones have been better than ever,I think I have over 15 Chicago Sunbursts now!
54EF318E-4A56-4971-9A5D-AEB0199BB752.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
Tidal Gardens
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Super Duper Awesome News!!!!
98A157B1-2149-4523-8A5C-888A4D939C09.jpeg

8823F645-38F2-442A-A76C-0CFB4CF1D1B0.jpeg

Today I received a Biota shipment with a beautiful baby misbar regal angel! They are personally one of my favorite fish and I’ve loved them in my tanks as perfect reef angels. I’ve raised 3 baby regal angels before from when they were a size of a quarter so hopefully I can use those prior skills to raise this beauty.
I can’t wait to see if they keep their pattern as they mature. Along with the regal I snagged
3 mandarins
0CA165CF-24CE-4C8E-BB67-6CF8E52E87D0.jpeg

And 2 neon gobies
81A91A58-FD97-4D73-B1B7-48C6C4628CED.jpeg
8A9C88CC-69FA-4B6D-B89D-F75DDC45AAE0.jpeg
@Biota_Marine

OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey Everyone, Just did an icp test on my reef. For the most part everything seems to be in order except my Iodine is reading 0. Any one have this issue where iodine bottoms out in your aquarium?

I've attached the link, feel free to look and shout out any pointers if y'all see anything.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

mfollen

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
I notice issues with my zoa, but for acro I don’t have enough to report on. I do know iodine is reportedly important, it just gets used up by many organisms in a system after its oxidized. You need to constantly dose it if you want it not bottoming out.

World Wide Corals

SweetReefOH

Follow me on Instagram
Review score
+36 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+36 /0 /-0
Sorry to read about your crash Hung. Thats always gut wrenching...

My last 2 ATI ICP showed the same thing. 0 Iodine. So I have been dosing 1mL of the ATI Iodine each week after a WC for the last 6 weeks. I just sent in another ATI ICP so we will see if the dosing helped it move it any.

I also started dosing manganese, strontium and potassium in the recommended dosages each week. I am noticing very nice color on all my acros. But the biggest difference I’ve noticed is in my goni’s. They are going nuts with color, growth and PE!

Heabel7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

My last 2 ATI ICP showed the same thing. 0 Iodine. So I have been dosing 1mL of the ATI Iodine each week after a WC for the last 6 weeks. I just sent in another ATI ICP so we will see if the dosing helped it move it any.

I also started dosing manganese, strontium and potassium in the recommended dosages each week. I am noticing very nice color on all my acros. But the biggest difference I’ve noticed is in my goni’s. They are going nuts with color, growth and PE!
How long have you been dosing each?

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Yup! I've notice the same thing with my lps as well. My brains, acans, gonis all have gotten extremely puffy, kind of ridiculous since I thought they were already doing great before. This really goes to show how useful these ICP tests are for our reefs.

Since dosing Iodine I have noticed certain acros in my tank becoming brighter. It's definitely something that I'll be dosing routinely to keep it from bottoming out again.

OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Some Stick Updates

_DSC5089-2.JPG

Little tenuis booger that's been dormant for years, it's starting to develop some colored polyps again

_DSC5093.JPG

RRC Jaw Dropper

_DSC5099.JPG

CRT Star Killer

_DSC5107.JPG

CRT Delight

Some new ones in the oven too!
_DSC5096.JPG

_DSC5113.JPG

_DSC5118.JPG

_DSC5121.JPG

Tidal Gardens
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Some more fiyaaa, things in the tank are starting to have little growth spurt

_DSC5166.JPG

Matt V Rainbow Envy, serving that base :cool:

_DSC5174.JPG

SniperSPS Rainbow Stag

_DSC5210-2.JPG

CRT Tony's Special

_DSC5209-2.JPG

CRT Toxic Lemonade, yellow acros have a sweet spot in my heart

OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Another awesome day! Want to thank @Eric Cohen and Among the Reef for the awesome service and new additions. I’ve loved leopard wrasses and was able to snag these beautiful choati leopards. They’ve been an awesome addition and are already eating pellets as well!

204C8A92-E529-4BAE-8064-7D37E6997DE6.jpeg

Cyber Monday
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Some late nite/Early Mornin pics!

_DSC5350.JPG

CRT Fantasia, been growing this one out for a long long time. I got this one back in 2018, I managed to save a small branch before I lost the colony and it went dormant for awhile. Now post crash it's starting to explode!

_DSC5253.JPG

CRT Pinky Binky, bummed I lost the colony of this one, but I managed to save me some!

_DSC5280.JPG

RMF Psychoberry, you psycho for berries??

_DSC5282.JPG

RRC Pink Cadillac, this mini colony survived the crash. My main colony was probably reaching 1 foot in diameter before the crash.

_DSC5284.JPG

TGC Galactic Gabagool, very pastel unique tenuis. The corallites turn bright pink fully colored up. Might need to up my nitrates...

_DSC5286.JPG

CRT Hangover, currently coloring up post crash.

_DSC5289.JPG

TGC Creamsicle, this one's bright!

_DSC5401.JPG

CRT Golden Eye

_DSC5358.JPG

CRT Golden Eye, I've been growing this one out for a few years as well and it has the brightest yellow polyps of all my rainbow tenuis. I lost a sizable portion of my colony during the crash, but I managed to save a few pieces

TCK Corals

If you did attempt to breed fish in your aquariums, where would you start?

• Ocellaris clownfish

Votes: 59 59.0%
  • Maroon clownfish

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Bangaii cardinalfish

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Orchid dottybacks

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Neon goby

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fang blenny

• Yellow assessor basslet

• Seahorses

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Other clownfish (please explain in the discussion)

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other non-clownfish (please explain in the discussion)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Reef Breeders