CRT Gold Meister, the behemoth and center piece of my display

Do you still have this guy?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can deduce I believe the crash was due to an error of my new digital refractometer. Essentially I think the tank’s salinity drifted with each water change and over time became too salty. I’ve since corrected this issue and I’ve gotten things back under control.

Man I have seen refractometers cause tank crashes for so many people, experienced or not, more so experienced, because we get used to our routine. Most of the time it ends up being because the glass on the unit goes bad. Do you think that’s what happened to your digital? I do know they are much more delicate too. Since noticing so many friends have crashes like that I have always had a digital which I trust the most but also keep a top notch standard refractometer and always keep my fluid updated. I check against the two almost every other use to avoid any errors.
Thanks for sharing what happened, it’s a tough thing to realize when it ends up being something simple like that I am sure. Hopefully others will double check their results against another kind of equipment now and maybe someone will avoid a potential crash like this. Keep the superb pics coming!

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I have seen refractometers cause tank crashes for so many people, experienced or not, more so experienced, because we get used to our routine. Most of the time it ends up being because the glass on the unit goes bad. Do you think that’s what happened to your digital? I do know they are much more delicate too. Since noticing so many friends have crashes like that I have always had a digital which I trust the most but also keep a top notch standard refractometer and always keep my fluid updated. I check against the two almost every other use to avoid any errors.
Thanks for sharing what happened, it’s a tough thing to realize when it ends up being something simple like that I am sure. Hopefully others will double check their results against another kind of equipment now and maybe someone will avoid a potential crash like this. Keep the superb pics coming!
Yea it must have been related to that, I’m going back to my old trusted refractometer now. Trying to maintain an sps tank through proxy can be a bit difficult especially when trying to diagnose issues with the tank.
On the other hand my anemones have been better than ever,I think I have over 15 Chicago Sunbursts now!
54EF318E-4A56-4971-9A5D-AEB0199BB752.jpeg

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super Duper Awesome News!!!!
98A157B1-2149-4523-8A5C-888A4D939C09.jpeg

8823F645-38F2-442A-A76C-0CFB4CF1D1B0.jpeg

Today I received a Biota shipment with a beautiful baby misbar regal angel! They are personally one of my favorite fish and I’ve loved them in my tanks as perfect reef angels. I’ve raised 3 baby regal angels before from when they were a size of a quarter so hopefully I can use those prior skills to raise this beauty.
I can’t wait to see if they keep their pattern as they mature. Along with the regal I snagged
3 mandarins
0CA165CF-24CE-4C8E-BB67-6CF8E52E87D0.jpeg

And 2 neon gobies
81A91A58-FD97-4D73-B1B7-48C6C4628CED.jpeg
8A9C88CC-69FA-4B6D-B89D-F75DDC45AAE0.jpeg
@Biota_Marine

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Everyone, Just did an icp test on my reef. For the most part everything seems to be in order except my Iodine is reading 0. Any one have this issue where iodine bottoms out in your aquarium?

I've attached the link, feel free to look and shout out any pointers if y'all see anything.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice issues with my zoa, but for acro I don’t have enough to report on. I do know iodine is reportedly important, it just gets used up by many organisms in a system after its oxidized. You need to constantly dose it if you want it not bottoming out.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry to read about your crash Hung. Thats always gut wrenching...

My last 2 ATI ICP showed the same thing. 0 Iodine. So I have been dosing 1mL of the ATI Iodine each week after a WC for the last 6 weeks. I just sent in another ATI ICP so we will see if the dosing helped it move it any.

I also started dosing manganese, strontium and potassium in the recommended dosages each week. I am noticing very nice color on all my acros. But the biggest difference I’ve noticed is in my goni’s. They are going nuts with color, growth and PE!

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My last 2 ATI ICP showed the same thing. 0 Iodine. So I have been dosing 1mL of the ATI Iodine each week after a WC for the last 6 weeks. I just sent in another ATI ICP so we will see if the dosing helped it move it any.

I also started dosing manganese, strontium and potassium in the recommended dosages each week. I am noticing very nice color on all my acros. But the biggest difference I’ve noticed is in my goni’s. They are going nuts with color, growth and PE!
How long have you been dosing each?

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yup! I've notice the same thing with my lps as well. My brains, acans, gonis all have gotten extremely puffy, kind of ridiculous since I thought they were already doing great before. This really goes to show how useful these ICP tests are for our reefs.

Since dosing Iodine I have noticed certain acros in my tank becoming brighter. It's definitely something that I'll be dosing routinely to keep it from bottoming out again.

Back