Some questions about information on fish.

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you first off for reading and your possible help in this situation! I am getting a 125gal set up. Right now just going over some fish just so I can have a mock plan for the future. Will not be getting any fish till at least 2 months or more from now, as I will be doing a very deep clean and list of all items. I have attached an image showing what I currently want in the tank and some questions ones as well. Trying to make sure we are not going to over Here are some questions.

1) Anthias do they actually need to be feed multiple times a day or has anyone had success without multiple feedings but daily? Lots of conflicting info out there.

2) Powder tangs mean and sickly? Heard this a lot about powders is this true? Tangs 2 different shape size species okay? I have heard the rule of odds and heard you can keep 2 as long as different shape size and species. So a Purple tang and a Powder blue tang would be fine?

3) Cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp okay? Have heard people had success keeping both in pairs as long as the tank is big. Mine will be a 125gal. Other shrimp with them?Any other shrimP I could keep with them or would they be it?

4) How hardy are clams? We would like to get a Maxima or Squamosa. I have read they are a more intermediate style care, does this ring true?

5) Wife really wants Starfish i have heard the lincka do not do well in aquariums. I have heard good things about Fromia starfish though. Has anyone kept these alive for a long time? Would a 125 be big enough to house 2? I have heard they will sometimes attack eachother but only in a small area.

6) How many Wrasse is to many Wrasse?

7) Banggai Cardinals. I have heard everything in the book on these guys. Do i keep just 2 or do i keep 3+?

8) Anyone deal with Squirrelfish? I think they look nice but can not find much info on them.

9) Foxfish are they safe for Corals or not? Been told both and will definitely be getting corals in the future.

ED7C5BF6-05D4-4EC9-9B96-D1651582EBD3.png

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias - that is the story.

Tangs tend to have a thin mucus coat which makes them vulnerable to external parasites like ICH and velvet. If you follow a decent quarantine procedure, you should not have problems. My tangs are very healthy.

Powder tangs are genus Acanthurus which is a bit more vulnerable than other tangs. My powder brown has manic phases and the tank is plenty big. All the other fish dive for cover. In a really large tank, they are probably fine.

I never had problems with cleaner shrimp. If you try to spot feed corals or anemones, they come out to snatch up the food.

I have not fooled with starfish.

There are all kinds of wrasses and some do better with certain others. It is kinda like witch craft. But wrasses can be well worth it.

Mine pair up and murder the others. Maybe if you start with a blue million of little ones.

Squrrelfish have an appeal. But they get rather large. They don’t seem to be used much.

With fish, it is often individual. Also, the kind of corals makes a difference. And individual fish can be fine with corals except for the one kind they think is yummy.

OP
OP
MrDeathKills

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad about the Anthias unfortunately to much work.

So your powder will go around and terrorize? Wonder if thats a trend or personality thing.

I guess I will have to do more into what Wrasses people have kept together.

Did you add them all together or different times?

Unfortunately thats all the info I could gather as well oh well.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a few different tangs in my 125. Blue, orange shoulder, tomini and yellow at one point. They were all pretty small with yellow being the biggest around 4 inches. Never had much issue. The orange shoulder was boss and let everyone know it too. But otherwise they were fine.

I have had a maxima clam for almost a year and a half now. I think it's partly luck to get one that is in good shape (apparently the foot can be torn and not show any damage that we can see, but will eventually lead to death of clam) and partly I gave it a lot of time and care when I started with it. Spot fed at least weekly, stuff like that.

I had 4 bengaii cardinals. Currently I have 3 but had 4 for about 5 months together. Been a few weeks now at 3. Not sure what happened to one, was there one day and totally gone the next.

I have also owned 2 different foxface fish. First was a two barred rabbitfish and it was MOSTLY safe. It ate an absolute TON of nori daily and if I missed a day he went after zoas pretty quick. Would also peck at my GSP too at times. Other was a one spot and he was much better behaved. Had him in my frag tank actually. No issues there.

OP
OP
MrDeathKills

MrDeathKills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a few different tangs in my 125. Blue, orange shoulder, tomini and yellow at one point. They were all pretty small with yellow being the biggest around 4 inches. Never had much issue. The orange shoulder was boss and let everyone know it too. But otherwise they were fine.

I have had a maxima clam for almost a year and a half now. I think it's partly luck to get one that is in good shape (apparently the foot can be torn and not show any damage that we can see, but will eventually lead to death of clam) and partly I gave it a lot of time and care when I started with it. Spot fed at least weekly, stuff like that.

I had 4 bengaii cardinals. Currently I have 3 but had 4 for about 5 months together. Been a few weeks now at 3. Not sure what happened to one, was there one day and totally gone the next.

I have also owned 2 different foxface fish. First was a two barred rabbitfish and it was MOSTLY safe. It ate an absolute TON of nori daily and if I missed a day he went after zoas pretty quick. Would also peck at my GSP too at times. Other was a one spot and he was much better behaved. Had him in my frag tank actually. No issues there.
Glad to hear about the tangs!

That is a little sad about the clams. We really wanted to get one of the $200+ ones so gamble.

Sad to hear one disappeared :(.

Glad to her about the foxfish hopefully we get a well behaved one as well.

Back