Some sort of worm? ID please

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've got some sort of worm I found last night and I'm not sure what it is. Pretty spooky looking tbh... Pretty sure it's some sort of filter feeder though?

My only inkling of a maybe clue is that my feather duster seems to have left it's tube. However I can't find any good pics of a tubeless feather duster to confirm. Any help would be great!

1000013579.jpg
1000013578.jpg
1000013580.jpg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s definitely your feather duster that left his tube. If you plant him back in the sand somewhere towards the bottom, he should start to grow a new tube as long as no one is bothering him. It looks like he’s regrowing his feathers right now too.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It’s definitely your feather duster that left his tube. If you plant him back in the sand somewhere towards the bottom, he should start to grow a new tube as long as no one is bothering him. It looks like he’s regrowing his feathers right now too.
+1 to this. it happened to my koko/coco worm

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that worm is harmless/beneficial - some feather dusters and some spaghetti worms can look similar to this; given that your feather duster is missing, that would be my guess.

If you want to see pics of other specimens, you can do an image search for their morphology - for example, if you do a Google Images search for "Sabellida morphology" you'll get a bunch of different results of feather duster worm specimens outside of their tubes from various scholarly sources.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that worm is harmless/beneficial - some feather dusters and some spaghetti worms can look similar to this; given that your feather duster is missing, that would be my guess.

If you want to see pics of other specimens, you can do an image search for their morphology - for example, if you do a Google Images search for "Sabellida morphology" you'll get a bunch of different results of feather duster worm specimens outside of their tubes from various scholarly sources.
Awesome! That's a tip that'll come in handy next time I'm having a hard time getting good results, I'm sure. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back