Some SPS just got white tips, please help!

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with running carbon. The fine dust from that can and is known to cause RTN in SPS.
Be sure to rinse it really well before using and probably best if used in a media reactor.

I can't really tell much from your pics since they are too blue. You should post pics under white light.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With high phosphates (.5ppm and up) youll just get slow growth. With low phosphate 0.00ppm youll also get slow growth, but not as slow with high phosphate. Low maintaned phos 0.00 will cause stn and paling corals.

The tunze algae magnet has neodymium magnets and that will cause stn or rtn. Neodymium magnets contain iron and boron, which isnt a problem but has other metals that can be sps killers like nickel and copper. They are coated with that to prevent corrosion. I dont keep magnets in my tank for this reason. An icp will show levels of copper, nickel and possibly zinc from magnets corroding.
Good to know! I have ordered an ICP test so i will know soon if my tank is contaminated with something. Past three days i seen two snails that died. Not sure it's because of the rusty magnet.... but we'll see. My Zoas and other softies seem unaffected by what ever bleaches my corals. Also fish are alert and seems happy. But they are ofc hardier than Acropora.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with running carbon. The fine dust from that can and is known to cause RTN in SPS.
Be sure to rinse it really well before using and probably best if used in a media reactor.

I can't really tell much from your pics since they are too blue. You should post pics under white light.
Yes i do rinse it well with RODI water before it goes in my tank. I will try to take better pictures, they are however no pretty sight to see :(

I'm also struggeling with alkalinity swings now that i just gotten myself a ReefDose2 - and i have been experimenting with the dosing. I'm pretty sure this does not help with the RTN.... *sigh* some day i will have a stable tank and my corals will do fine. This reefing hobby is so difficult sometimes and very unforgiving.

On the other hand it is also very rewarding. My case here is nothing compared to what i have seen happen to other reefers, and i'm ofc not an exception by no means. Reefing is a delicate as rewarding hobby :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back