some tissue peeling on recently fragged acro. . . intervene? or leave alone?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently changed my scape and cut some acro frags off their plugs so they could be glued in their new spots. Besides the scape the tank is mostly the same. Tested the water and Alk is a bit high (usually is in this tank). Nitrate 5, phosphate undetectable, Alk 9. . .

I am inclined to believe it is a combination of stress, low nutrients, and high alk. . .

The question is, what do I do? From the reading I have done this is typically fatal/not reversible, some have said to glue over the dying parts. . .

What to do?

IMG_0090.jpeg

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oftentimes when you see the acro rapidly losing tissue it is a goner unless you can immediately frag it.

It could be due to your low nutrients, but I do not think that your alk of 9 would do you in. In my experience 9 dkh is not that high, it is the sudden change in alkalinity that is the cause for coral stress.
How old is your system too? From the looks of the picture those rocks seem bone white. If this system is on the newer side it could just be that the microbiome in the tank is just not adequate enough to keep acros.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s just me, but the only ever I was able to stop rtn is by dosing phosphates into my system immediately when I noticed it. It might just be a huge coincidence but it’s worth a try. My rtn was base up though and my po4 was also undetectable at that time. I would vote dose a bit of phosphate and hope.

Oops looks like I was too late. Still if I were you I’d dose tiny bit of phosphate to keep them above 0

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday one of my 3 month old acro frags had a white spot show up on it. Next morning it doubled in size and 3 hours later that about doubled again. It wasnt on the tip but in the middle. Well I thought what do i have to lose, and I made a ball of epoxy and gooped it right over the spot. Held it there good till it stayed.. fast forward 12 hours and no other tissue loss... YET. so I hope it worked. Only time will tell

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oftentimes when you see the acro rapidly losing tissue it is a goner unless you can immediately frag it.

It could be due to your low nutrients, but I do not think that your alk of 9 would do you in. In my experience 9 dkh is not that high, it is the sudden change in alkalinity that is the cause for coral stress.
How old is your system too? From the looks of the picture those rocks seem bone white. If this system is on the newer side it could just be that the microbiome in the tank is just not adequate enough to keep acros.
The rocks are brand new, but everything else is the same, was just tired of the old scape so I bought new rocks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back