Someone needs a diet!

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orangy_frogspawn.jpg

This little guy will eat like it is his last meal. Sometimes I worry that his belly will blow at the seems. His name is Orangy and he shares my tank with his "soon to be mate" Ebony.

ebony_sebae.jpg

I've got two anemones in the tank and the black clown will chase Orangy out of it into the other. The anemone above is a Sebae and the other is a LTA (I think). So he darts back and forth from one to the other, but luckily they are starting to get closer to each other and I really think they are gonna "Pair Up" soon enough.

This next picture is of him enjoying some time in the Sebae while Ebony was gone.

orangy_sebae.jpg

She sleeps in the Sebae and he gets the purple LTA. LTA is on the left side in this picture.

orangy_lta.jpg

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 4 of them in my 20g and I really like them. Here are the pros and cons of these little guys.

Cons:
They are really small at around 1inch so they would make a quick snack for a lot of larger fish.

They are food driven like most shrimp so if you feed something they will move towards it. While they do bother my frogspawn when I feed, it isn't as bad as larger shrimp.

Pros:
They are pretty much peppermint shrimp in that they wander around the tank doing their job. But they don't clean fish or anything like that. Another positive on the same note is that they aren't as aggressive as peppermints. I've had peppermints rip tentacles off my BTA.

Because of their size you can keep a lot of them in a smaller space. I have 4 in my 20g, but I think I could get away with 2 more, at most!

Since they are so small when others see your tank it is almost like they just discovered a new critter when they see your shrimp. They don't stand out like bigger shrimp so finding them is half the fun.

When other fish get near them they shaker their goods like crazy. Very funny!

Conclusion:

If you are going to have a nano with smaller fish then go for it!!! I love them.

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that they are know to munch on zoas on occasion?

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
epidemic said:
I heard that they are know to munch on zoas on occasion?

I have not found that to be true, but I can understand why people say that. I once noticed a sexy shrimp cleaning in the mouth of a zoa. It was really weird and I brushed him away. Now I don't know if the shrimp was extracting something from in there, but I do know that my zoas are not diminishing in quantity. These little guys roam the whole tank and can be found high and low cleaning around zoas, but I'll keep my eye on them and report any issues.

What some may have noticed is that like other shrimp, these little guys will clean up dead or dying zoas from a colony. In general they will swarm a new rock, leaving it clean the next day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back