Someone please help me with skimmer

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmer has been running for like 10 days. At first just let it over flow into sump. Now I noticed from all the bubbles some brown scum on sump glass. So I fiugured it was ready. I had put sump in a bucket of water and it ran perfect. Put it into tank and it constantly over flows. So I though water level was to low so I raised it. That didn't work. So now I got it lifted up about 2.5 inches. Still over flowing. If I hold my finger over half of the air in hose it works better.

Reef octopus 150sss

Attachments

• 20201014_103138.mp4
    33.8 MB

Dekon970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the wedge valve, which is the long red tube to get the foam to the height you want it. I don't have a Reef Octopus but my skimmer is similar. HTH

mphammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but I think you lift up or twist the large red tube to adjust your internal water level (not the water level of your sump)
So essentially you want to lower the internal water level

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the wedge valve, which is the long red tube to get the foam to the height you want it. I don't have a Reef Octopus but my skimmer is similar. HTH
I keep trying that. Putting it on max should make it very low correct?

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but I think you lift up or twist the large red tube to adjust your internal water level (not the water level of your sump)
So essentially you want to lower the internal water level
Well if I pull the pipe out all the way it seems to run alright. Alittle wet but not as fast. If I turn the pipe to 123 it starts pumping bubbles faster

Dekon970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trying that. Putting it on max should make it very low correct?
On mine, putting it max makes it overflow the cup. You need to adjust it very slowly as small adjustments make a big impact on water height in the skimmer. Mine has numbers and min. and max. marks. I started mine at min. or 0 and slowly raised the water level height in the skimmer until I got the foam head where I wanted it to be, which happens to be a little over three on mine.

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On mine, putting it max makes it overflow the cup. You need to adjust it very slowly as small adjustments make a big impact on water height in the skimmer. Mine has numbers and min. and max. marks. I started mine at min. or 0 and slowly raised the water level height in the skimmer until I got the foam head where I wanted it to be, which happens to be a little over three on mine.
Its weird bc on mine on min it flows faster....

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

16026912614297781551480607987313.jpg

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turned off return pump thinking a higher water level would work better. But even with it raising a inch doesn't work any better. Shouldn't a lower water level and on max cuase it not to get to the top?

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching some more videos my bio load might be to low. 66 gallons and only have 2 clowns in atm

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get this sorted out?
Not quite, I'm thinking my bio load is to low at the moment. Only got a clean up crew and 2 clowns and I bought a oversized skimmer. Recommended for a heavily stocked 75. I only got a 66 gallon.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use any filter floss, pads or socks? The phenols in them make skimmers go nuts if they weren't rinsed really well with hot water before use. Some additives can cause excessive foaming too.

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to f***ing scream! This skimmer just won't work. I turn it on for a few hours every day to thing maybe it needs broken in. Still overflowing when I got the riser tube on max. Is it bc i dont have enough bio load? I really dont think so. I have it at the right height and below. Also raised the skimmer up 2". Weird thing was when I put it in a bucket of salt water it worked great. Put it back into the tank and it won't work.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to f***ing scream! This skimmer just won't work. I turn it on for a few hours every day to thing maybe it needs broken in. Still overflowing when I got the riser tube on max. Is it bc i dont have enough bio load? I really dont think so. I have it at the right height and below. Also raised the skimmer up 2". Weird thing was when I put it in a bucket of salt water it worked great. Put it back into the tank and it won't work.
Do you dose anything? Also, do you feed PE Mysis? That always messes up my skimmer.

It seems like it must have something to do with your water chemistry if it works fine in a bucket.

OP
OP
Jakob

Jakob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose anything? Also, do you feed PE Mysis? That always messes up my skimmer.

It seems like it must have something to do with your water chemistry if it works fine in a bucket.
I feed flakes. only got 2 clowns ATM no doising yet. Tommrow im going to do a water change and see if that helps anything but I really am going crazy. My last skimmer never had this problem.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed flakes. Tommrow im going to do a water change and see if that helps anything but I really am going crazy. My last skimmer never had this problem.
Do you dose anything? It must be something in your tank’s water chemistry, not the skimmer, if it works in fresh saltwater.

Dekon970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this sounds stupid, but is the bubble plate in correctly? Is the water level to high? My skimmer was sensitive of a 1/2" Had to add another layer of egg crate on top of the stand I use. Just looking for ideas. I have seen the bubble plate in wrong and the bubbles just overflow the top of the skimmer also.

Dekon970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put it on min. and let the water stabilize in the skimmer. Then I would very slowly open the adjustable pipe until the water level rises to where you want it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back