Something had the munchies

Doh Boy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 22, 2020
Messages
134
Reaction score
263
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this birdsnest colony last week. Well I dipped it with Bayer for 15 minutes at 10ml per cup, rinsed through three stages and put it in QT. Well I am looking at it and see something looking at me! I thought it was a stuck hermit crab or snail, so I pull the coral out and put it in a container to remove whatever it is. It was several snails embedded into the coral. Here are some pics. These things are burrowed into the skeleton of the coral.

A3D2E78D-6274-4D4E-97E2-A7F0F6E92CEE.jpeg E7ACBF5A-D908-4704-BF1A-3D7C4CFAC045.jpeg B9002A78-8356-4F32-A9F8-5ECD22F3416E.jpeg 913AFABE-8E36-4014-97F6-FBFF85BFE9F6.jpeg 9DCCE97F-9E49-4131-9E9F-FC8B81084524.jpeg 6B621F04-E580-4D63-B431-F2204D206D1C.jpeg 86CB6768-AFA4-4979-8099-4170744BEAE7.jpeg 194BD9BE-67E5-4BA8-A13D-DC5A297044E9.jpeg
 
Dang that’s gross! I’d go over the entire coral with some magnification and remove all visible snails then do more anti-pest dips. Where’d you get that coral?!
 
I completely went over the whole coral and cut all of the snails out. I ended up making a bunch of frags out of it, but still have a great colony. Came from LFS.
 
I completely went over the whole coral and cut all of the snails out. I ended up making a bunch of frags out of it, but still have a great colony. Came from LFS.
I’d start bringing a magnifying glass with me there then! At least now you can grow your colony like a bonsai tree, the frags will eventually re-fuse to the old colony and you can make some really nice shapes! I’m doing this with my Birdsnest because I think it looks a little tall and weird
 
Definitely! I’m gonna also take my really bright light. Luckily the colony I got is huge, so the frags are a nice little bonus.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new