Something is killing my fish! (Picture included)

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’ve recently lost three fish in the last two days - Lined Tamarin Wrasse, Royal Gramma, and Yellow Coris Wrasse.

I picked these three fish and quarantined each out separately. Added the Tamarin and Royal Gramma, both ended up dying after two days with nip marks on the fish. I added the Yellow Corris last night and he buried himself in the sand. I went out this morning and came back home to him dead with nips on his body - see below. The nips are all over the red area.

Who is killing my fish? My tankmates are two clownfish, three lyertail anthias, swallowtail angelfish, leopard wrasse, and flame hawkfish. I thought all these fish were peaceful but cannot figure out who the killer may be. Please help! Thanks.

IMG_8440.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’ve recently lost three fish in the last two days - Lined Tamarin Wrasse, Royal Gramma, and Yellow Coris Wrasse.

I picked these three fish and quarantined each out separately. Added the Tamarin and Royal Gramma, both ended up dying after two days with nip marks on the fish. I added the Yellow Corris last night and he buried himself in the sand. I went out this morning and came back home to him dead with nips on his body - see below. The nips are all over the red area.

Who is killing my fish? My tankmates are two clownfish, three lyertail anthias, swallowtail angelfish, leopard wrasse, and flame hawkfish. I thought all these fish were peaceful but cannot figure out who the killer may be. Please help! Thanks.

IMG_8440.jpeg

Flame hawk fish can be pretty mean. They are also pretty alert and may not show aggression when you are watching them.

However, these fish may not have all had the same cause of death. Yellow coris are really prone to internal Uronema and that in turn looks a lot like an injury, but is actually caused by a protozoan.

Jay

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawk fish can be pretty mean. They are also pretty alert and may not show aggression when you are watching them.

However, these fish may not have all had the same cause of death. Yellow coris are really prone to internal Uronema and that in turn looks a lot like an injury, but is actually caused by a protozoan.

Jay
Thanks for the feedback Jay. I didn’t realize flame hawk fish could be mean. I’ve lost three fish and roughly $250 because of someone killing my healthy fish. I may go to my local store and pick up a couple Bangaii cardinals (they’re $20/each) and put them through quarantine for a couple weeks and add them to the DT. I hate to put it this way, but I’m looking for the cheapest fish to see if they get picked on and by whom. I also added a third lyerail anthias to my tank at the same time as the Gramma and Tamarin wrasse and she’s been fine (knock on wood)…pretty much the old survivor. At first I thought it may be that anthias doing it, but not sure. I hardly ever lose fish (again, knock on wood) and have been so frustrated and puzzled why I lost three fish in three days.

Shawn

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback Jay. I didn’t realize flame hawk fish could be mean. I’ve lost three fish and roughly $250 because of someone killing my healthy fish. I may go to my local store and pick up a couple Bangaii cardinals (they’re $20/each) and put them through quarantine for a couple weeks and add them to the DT. I hate to put it this way, but I’m looking for the cheapest fish to see if they get picked on and by whom. I also added a third lyerail anthias to my tank at the same time as the Gramma and Tamarin wrasse and she’s been fine (knock on wood)…pretty much the old survivor. At first I thought it may be that anthias doing it, but not sure. I hardly ever lose fish (again, knock on wood) and have been so frustrated and puzzled why I lost three fish in three days.

Shawn

It may not be the hawkfish, I just put that out there as an idea.

One trick is to set up your phone (or a nanny cam) to video that tank and then leave the room. If you see any chasing, even without actual contact, be very suspicious.

Jay

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the hawkfish, I just put that out there as an idea.

One trick is to set up your phone (or a nanny cam) to video that tank and then leave the room. If you see any chasing, even without actual contact, be very suspicious.

Jay
That’s a great idea about the nanny cam!

Maybe I’ll pick up a pre-quarantine fish this week and give it a try. I spoke with the LFS I purchase from and they said it was probably the clown fish. He said especially during seasons of spawn, they tend to be much more aggressive. Personally, I’ve only seen the female clown pick on the male here and there, but I don’t recall seeing them pick on other fish species. In terms of aggression, the female clownfish does nip at me (which I think are clownfish bites but they’re very soft almost feel like a kiss. Lol) when i put hand in the tank during maintenance.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That’s a great idea about the nanny cam!

Maybe I’ll pick up a pre-quarantine fish this week and give it a try. I spoke with the LFS I purchase from and they said it was probably the clown fish. He said especially during seasons of spawn, they tend to be much more aggressive. Personally, I’ve only seen the female clown pick on the male here and there, but I don’t recall seeing them pick on other fish species. In terms of aggression, the female clownfish does nip at me (which I think are clownfish bites but they’re very soft almost feel like a kiss. Lol) when i put hand in the tank during maintenance.
Did you ever find the killer?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back