Something is killing my fish!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can a CRAB corner a fish? A fish can just swim up and away... only a unhealthy sick fish would sit in a corner and let a crab kill it. A cleaner shrimp is no danger to a healthy fish. They will eat a dead/dying one though.

Also it sounds like you still have the lawnmower and clowns? A predator wouldn't only target new fish.

Disease however can kill new fish that are stressed. Are you also positive it is not your resident fish that are attacking? This usually happens in the early morning or evening or any time you are not watching. Fish behave differently when being watched.

That being said, I only put female emerald crabs in my tank. Males can be bit of bulldozers.
I've found that size has as much to do with behavior and appetite as sex. Young ones stick to algea. Large ones will take a chunk of shrimp from a nem. They can't catch a fish. Male or female.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ashley what did you decide

did you get a chance to read the fish disease forum and select any practices that stand out - we are in agreement it’s not predation happening

we can rule out that, and cycling issues of any kind such as ammonia spikes etc

(runs api, finds .5 or red sea .2, solved!) :) just joking.

what did u decide

I ran this post past passionate non disease prep advocates and they were speechless on alternate options, fallow and qt seems to be the it move. It’s the only set of actions we haven’t ruled out for the fix.

specific qt timing and treatments as Tamberav was alluding to

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regarding the ammonia joke above if you run the test, report the numbers as nh3 vs nh4 from the test kit instructions, you’d be amazed at the hundreds of threads on file where a positive reading for nh4 (which we expect in reefing, it doesn’t run zero on majority non digital test kits in running reefs) has caused complete disarray in the troubleshooting process for fish loss.

if your test shows zero that’s great, it means you have a good test kit and thats rare

what people arrive at the very last is disease, but alas we are there.

we removed param issues and stray voltage as well due to your lysmata living these months where the fish showed symptoms and then eventual loss.

your thread challenge and reactions to it are part of the single biggest challenge wave coming in reefing this next year and beyond. Watch for thousands more of these copies to follow, that's why its good to chart best practices early.

we just closed out about 20 years of assumed cycle challenges as causatives in reefing problems, cycle incompletion was assigned to just about everything in reefing and seneye deserves some kind of trophy award for setting things straight, especially between sellers and buyers.

We now have access to digital gear that doesnt mislead, across so many thousands of reefs now that we can see the cycle data applies to us all, even without the gear. No longer will cycle incompletion be even part of the equation in tank troubleshoots where a fully stocked and running reef is losing fish.

its disease, if we want our fish to reach half maximum maturity potentials we've got to nail down disease preps as the initial challenge anticipation, not a last-ditch spiel to consider/the current standard we can see in most of these posts.

Last edited:

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran this post past passionate non disease prep advocates and they were speechless on alternate options, fallow and qt seems to be the it move. It’s the only set of actions we haven’t ruled out for the fix.
Not true. My comment on the other thread was ignored.

In this thread, they are still unanswered questions.

What kind of clown fish?
What QT procedure is in use?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job posting here to try and uncover a less obvious cause vs disease preps, nobody was stepping up with anything sensible so far.

my concern is the Op may have checked out, fish disease preps and needing fallow again make it easier to just stop posting, re buy more fish, give it an unstated new attempt. Then repeat in March

this system needs fallow preps, 45 day qt approaches with the right pre treatments to match the symptoms the clowns showed back in October etc if the stickies from the fish disease forum mean anything, it’s directly where my advice comes from.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ignore that other thread mostly is because people who do not ever do or collect patterned disease fixes from other people’s reefs using methods different than Jays are posting there

they don’t have a forum to show patterns in their offers like that forum does in its stickies; heck they usually don’t even have one single outbound works thread they saw through to completion. They only have tales about their own tank, all the bad parts omitted of course ~

I really do think it’s a good job to try and find causatives here that won’t require fallow, it’s not likely to get done, so anything she can be offered to change from the current direction might stop fish wasting here

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back