Something is the Zoas

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
I have something in the zoas which I cannot identify.
The angle is very bad and I am having trouble seeing it. it looks like Xenia polyp, but the Xenia I have looks quite different.
Think I'm also ruling out Spiders since it's next to the polyp
this one is too thin. I tried grabbing it with pliers, but it retracts immediately.
Here are some pictures, hopefully, someone can identify it. Sorry that pics are bad but honestly they are 10x better than what you can see with the naked eye, it's very thin and on an awkward spot. I took pictures under white light as it's best seen.
Thanks a lot

IMG_4693.jpeg IMG_4694.jpeg IMG_4695.jpeg IMG_4696.jpeg

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello guys,
I have something in the zoas which I cannot identify.
The angle is very bad and I am having trouble seeing it. it looks like Xenia polyp, but the Xenia I have looks quite different.
Think I'm also ruling out Spiders since it's next to the polyp
this one is too thin. I tried grabbing it with pliers, but it retracts immediately.
Here are some pictures, hopefully, someone can identify it. Sorry that pics are bad but honestly they are 10x better than what you can see with the naked eye, it's very thin and on an awkward spot. I took pictures under white light as it's best seen.
Thanks a lot

IMG_4693.jpeg IMG_4694.jpeg IMG_4695.jpeg IMG_4696.jpeg
It looks like aphasia to me.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to make out but I’m thinking aiptasia or feather duster worm.
I’m leaning towards feather duster because I can see the feathery ends and you mentioned it shoots back really fast.
I'm thinking so too, my only concern is that this Zoa has recently been staying a bit closed.
Now partially it can be since I added livestock and it was annoyed a bit by turbos and hermits always going on it to eat stuff and partially with fighting clowns.
didn't have any astasia before so I don't think it's that. but anyway pepermint shrimp was on my list to buy in a couple of weeks so if it is abtasia it will become food.
Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping it's feather worm.
it looks like very slim polyp of Xenia, it's basically all straight until the head splits, unlike aphasia which seems to become wider before the feathers on the top.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 aiptasia.
Hard to make out but I’m thinking aiptasia or feather duster worm.
I’m leaning towards feather duster because I can see the feathery ends and you mentioned it shoots back really fast.

Today I noticed something that looks like an egg under the polyps, very close to where that is.
IMG_4723.jpeg

IMG_4724.jpeg

IMG_4725.jpeg

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

IMG_4729.jpeg

Do you think it's a pest egg? Should I try and remove it?
Thanks alot

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed something that looks like an egg under the polyps, very close to where that is.
IMG_4723.jpeg

IMG_4724.jpeg

IMG_4725.jpeg

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

IMG_4729.jpeg

Do you think it's a pest egg? Should I try and remove it?
Thanks alot
This looks like some sort of sponge, I don’t believe there is a pest with such an big egg.
if it’s sponge it is generally harmless but I would remove it just because it’s growing between the zoas.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, sponge. You could just pick that off with tweezers and blast the aiptasia with Aiptasia X or F Aiptasia or lemon juice
thanks, I will try to get it in LFS , or I'll get peppermint shrimp soon then I don't need to worry

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For just one, I would use glue and smother the aptaisia that way
usually if there is one there would be more in the tank and its just about time for them to appear, having a peppermint shrimp is not a bad idea.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
usually if there is one there would be more in the tank and its just about time for them to appear, having a peppermint shrimp is not a bad idea.
Possible. How long has the frag been in the tank? If it’s a new addition there’s time to pull out / remove /kill before it spreads.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible. How long has the frag been in the tank? If it’s a new addition there’s time to pull out / remove /kill before it spreads.
It’s been there about a month. Is there a coral dip that works well? I was thinking perhaps to dip it.
Someone mentioned a lemon juice? How diluted should it be?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s been there about a month. Is there a coral dip that works well? I was thinking perhaps to dip it.
Someone mentioned a lemon juice? How diluted should it be?
Dips won’t help with aiptasia unfortunately. If it’s been a month there’s a decent chance you may find more.
You can look at products like Aiptasia-X, F-Aiptasia, or DIY Kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water. I recommend searching the forum here for how to create the DIY as I don’t have that handy with me at the moment. In the picture above, covering it with glue is the easiest option but definitely don’t wait any longer to treat it as they spread voraciously.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips won’t help with aiptasia unfortunately. If it’s been a month there’s a decent chance you may find more.
You can look at products like Aiptasia-X, F-Aiptasia, or DIY Kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water. I recommend searching the forum here for how to create the DIY as I don’t have that handy with me at the moment. In the picture above, covering it with glue is the easiest option but definitely don’t wait any longer to treat it as they spread voraciously.
thanks, I have tried but the thing is still here, will be getting peppermint shrimp too next week so if it's aipstasia it' 's fair game.

I have actually gotten a dip earlier today and did it, a couple of things fell off. perhaps you can help me identify what fell off so that I know what I'm dealing with. Most notably something with legs and something red:
IMG_4768.jpeg

I went to get a dip as I noticed that zoa which was happy before was closing down ( surprisingly the polyps next to that aiptasia looking things were the only open ones)

I got couple of more pictures, these were all that fell off in the dip:

IMG_4765.jpeg
IMG_4766.jpeg
IMG_4767.jpeg
IMG_4769.jpeg

Guess I won't be trusting LFS anymore when they say that they dip corals.
Thanks

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I have tried but the thing is still here, will be getting peppermint shrimp too next week so if it's aipstasia it' 's fair game.

I have actually gotten a dip earlier today and did it, a couple of things fell off. perhaps you can help me identify what fell off so that I know what I'm dealing with. Most notably something with legs and something red:
IMG_4768.jpeg

I went to get a dip as I noticed that zoa which was happy before was closing down ( surprisingly the polyps next to that aiptasia looking things were the only open ones)

I got couple of more pictures, these were all that fell off in the dip:

IMG_4765.jpeg
IMG_4766.jpeg
IMG_4767.jpeg
IMG_4769.jpeg

Guess I won't be trusting LFS anymore when they say that they dip corals.
Thanks
The "bugs" are amphipods, good guys you probably have more in the tank nothing to worry about.
Not sure about the red thing, does it move?
check this out it might help: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/guide-to-common-hitchhikers-in-reef-tanks.861/

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are amphipods. They are harmless and actually good food source for your fish.

peppermint shrimp are hit or miss with aiptasia control. People who target feed corals tend to find them bothersome because they steal food from their mouths.

can you elaborate on what didn’t work on the aiptasia? Did you try covering it in glue and it didn’t work? Or did you try something else?

definitely assume you need to QT/dip anything you buy for your tank. LFS’s bring in new things all the time that can carry pests to existing products

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back