Something is wrong with my leather coral?

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this coral two weeks ago... it’s never opened up my parameters are fine.
D40F113A-0FBA-474D-9DE3-1B46F4173F40.jpeg

OP
OP
fish_bucket

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are your parameters
2. Is it getting enough flow
3. Could there be pests etc
4. Is it getting nipped

Kh 8
Calcium 400
Salinity 1.025
Nitrates 0 - 1
Temp 25c

I don’t see any kind of best. And there is nothing in the tank that would nip it.

in terms of flow I don’t know, I can give it more flow I’ve got an adjustable power head that is set to about half flow... but I mean it should have plenty in such a small tank.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kh 8
Calcium 400
Salinity 1.025
Nitrates 0 - 1
Temp 25c

I don’t see any kind of best. And there is nothing in the tank that would nip it.

in terms of flow I don’t know, I can give it more flow I’ve got an adjustable power head that is set to about half flow... but I mean it should have plenty in such a small tank.
FTS?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can take a few weeks for a leather to settle and even then now and again it might shrivel up again. From my own observations I would echo the previously mentioned flow. Leathers seem to like a good amount of flow and you will probably find once provided that it sheds some tissue, in fact looking closely at your picture I think it may already be doing that as I can see what looks like brown tissue around the edges.

I have more consistently happy leathers in pretty high flow. In fact if my pump slows down due to needing cleaning the first sign is that some of my leathers start sulking. To give you an idea my leathers bend/move around in the flow that I provide.

OP
OP
fish_bucket

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can take a few weeks for a leather to settle and even then now and again it might shrivel up again. From my own observations I would echo the previously mentioned flow. Leathers seem to like a good amount of flow and you will probably find once provided that it sheds some tissue, in fact looking closely at your picture I think it may already be doing that as I can see what looks like brown tissue around the edges.

I have more consistently happy leathers in pretty high flow. In fact if my pump slows down due to needing cleaning the first sign is that some of my leathers start sulking. To give you an idea my leathers bend/move around in the flow that I provide.

Thanks for the input. I decided to turn up my wave maker and now it is really hitting the coral. It could be just me, but I feel like it looked better this morning. I also turned off my skimmer, I feel like my tank needs more nutrients.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you purchased this leather and placed it in your tank did it have the white, light purple and brownish areas?
Is that algae growing on parts of it?
If it was mine, id toothbrush off the brown parts and do a Lugol dip, then place in moderate flow and leave it alone.
Hope it turns around for you.

OP
OP
fish_bucket

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of an update. Obviously there has been tissue loss around the edges, however since moving it higher in the tank, with more flow and light, there does seem to be more polyps open on the top.

I am hoping the loss of tissue on the edges will cease.

87502438_880933892344797_5747849153350729728_n (1).jpg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had luck with leathers. Funny because I have my water parameters spot on they wither and die , but all my SPS grow well . In fact I can only grow GSP all softie hate me . So I’m a stickhead .

OP
OP
fish_bucket

fish_bucket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after some time it seems the tissue loss has stopped, whilst I have not seen much polyp extension the coral overall does look healthier. I’m hoping over the next two weeks that it will open up and be right at home.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back