Something nipping my torch?

Bamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my torch, and I noticed 2 small green dots on the rock/substrate below it. When I looked closer, both appeared to be the tip of tentacles from my torch. Its hard to tell in this pic, but its the 2 green dots circled.

I only have 2 clowns and my clean up crew which includes a couple hermits as my livestock. For the tips to come off like that, does that mean something is nipping it? Or could the tips rubbing against live rock/a monti/a mushroom next to it cause them to break off?

20200728_200302.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a lot of reasons it could have happened. The clowns could be rubbing it also...

OP
OP
B

Bamzam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this common/nothing to worry about? I didn't have good experiences with torches a couple years ago, so im trying to protect this one lol

Jason Truong

Tiger King
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, every once in a blue moon, torches can sometimes let go of the tip of a tentacle or two. If you start finding lots of them, then it's probably something nipping.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience tips don't just fall off. Its also not a sign of infection that I know of.

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a torch garden, and I have floating tips in my tank every other day.
My clown sometimes bites off some tips of my torch. and my clown is hosting one of the torch.
Also I think this might be a way for torch to spawn. I am having a baby torch growing in my sump.
At last, having flow running too strong may also cause this.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a torch garden, and I have floating tips in my tank every other day.
My clown sometimes bites off some tips of my torch. and my clown is hosting one of the torch.
Also I think this might be a way for torch to spawn. I am having a baby torch growing in my sump.
At last, having flow running too strong may also cause this.
There are many reasons torches lose tips, spawning unfortunately is not one of them. If a torch spawned and is now in your sump thats interesting and good?.?.? Are you sure it is not just a tip in your sump?

Most likely your clown is rubbing too hard, if the clown continues this could kill the torch. Once that torch dies the clown will move to the next and love rub them to death.

Yes there are occasions that this friendship lasts a while but with a hard skeleton that euphyllia have the clowms eventually cut the euphyllia skin by rubbing too hard. This is why nems or large mushrooms are better suited....our clowns are always in our yumas.

If you don't want to remove the clown you could try to add a nem for him and hope he finds it.

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many reasons torches lose tips, spawning unfortunately is not one of them. If a torch spawned and is now in your sump thats interesting and good?.?.? Are you sure it is not just a tip in your sump?

Most likely your clown is rubbing too hard, if the clown continues this could kill the torch. Once that torch dies the clown will move to the next and love rub them to death.

Yes there are occasions that this friendship lasts a while but with a hard skeleton that euphyllia have the clowms eventually cut the euphyllia skin by rubbing too hard. This is why nems or large mushrooms are better suited....our clowns are always in our yumas.

If you don't want to remove the clown you could try to add a nem for him and hope he finds it.
Thanks
I think my torch is fine with the clown, or too big for them to rub too hard. and here a picture of baby torch. I moved it to the display.

IMG_20200729_180909.jpg MVIMG_20200729_180935.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back