SOMETHING reproduced

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up today and thought I let my tank level run too low because I saw hundreds of what I thought were bubbles. However, looking up close, they look like the free-swimming form of something, but I have no idea what. I can't take a picture since they're way too small, but I can describe them. They're a bit bigger than copepods, with an almost egg-shaped main clear body. However, they have a clear "tail" for lack of a better word. it comes out of the clear part and forks into two prongs. It swims by just flailing around, and they stay suspended in the water column for the most part.

I have a few blue legged hermit crabs, tons of LPS corals, nassarius snails, astraea snails, tons of cluster dusters, and some decorator crabs. I also have a brittle star, a bta, a scooter blenny, and a clownfish, but I doubt they're the parents.

I was also thinking it could be hydroid medusae, but they're not jellyfish looking at all. Anybody have any ideas?

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a fun artist’s rendition:
B7EC19FC-8704-437C-BD09-DF52F024A106.jpeg

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like crab larvae. Looks like this?

It certainly could be, but the body literally looks as simple as what I drew- I can't make out eyes or anything. It's probably just not that developed, so it's gonna be hard to get a positive ID.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your list of inhabitants, the decorator crab seems like the only possible answer.
maybe your seeing this life stage of the larvae:
1586450026359.png

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your list of inhabitants, the decorator crab seems like the only possible answer.
maybe your seeing this life stage of the larvae:
1586450026359.png
Seems possible. Are they hermaphroditic? I have 2 and one is either a different species or probably hasn’t reached sexual maturity since it’s much much smaller. That’s the only reason I’m not convinced.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I cannot answer that question with any certainty. Based on your list, it was the Prime Suspect

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems possible. Are they hermaphroditic? I have 2 and one is either a different species or probably hasn’t reached sexual maturity since it’s much much smaller. That’s the only reason I’m not convinced.
Crabs are not hermaphroditic, as far as I know, but do often times exhibit sexual dimorphism. I don't know for sure if Camposcia retusa does or doesn't but I would assume it does. Any photos?

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's a copepod... it's a bit bigger, and it definitely is something in a larval free-swimming stage of its life cycle. Not to toot my own horn, but it literally looks exactly what I drew. The "tail" definitely branches- it starts off as one tail then branches off from there- copepods have their 2 antennae come directly out of their body.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any videos of the creature swimming?

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also try and change my filter media today... mont many are in suspension anymore and I assume that they're all in the filter floss.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microscope pic?
I try my best to make positive ID.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back