Something seems off with my snails

micl10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 5 trochus, 5 astrea, 3 nasarius, and some other snails in my tank.

Yesterday, I saw one of the the trochus hollowed out. So it probably died more than a day ago. Today, i saw 1 trochus, and 1 astrea snails flipped.
I corrected them, and it seems the trochus seems like it's on the way out as well. It started crawling on the rock i set it down on, and as it traversed a slope, it seems like it didn't have the "grip" to stay on, and ended up flipping again.

So I started observing the rest of my snails, and none of them seem to be all that active. They basically all stayed in the same spot for the last 2 hours.

The only ones i see behaving normally are the nassarius snails.

Any thoughts on what could be going on? I did a 20% water change just in case. Only thing I dose is all for reef to maintain a 7.4 dkh. I also just dosed .2ml of brightwell's phosphate-e to combat my slightly elevated phosphates. (tank is 20g)

OP
OP
M

micl10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you supplementing their feeding?
I am not. I'm actually battling (and seemingly winning, thanks to my snails) green hair algae so i think they're pretty well fed. They've been pretty active until yesterday. My water change seem to have helped, but my two snails that were flipped are seemingly still lethargic.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not. I'm actually battling (and seemingly winning, thanks to my snails) green hair algae so i think they're pretty well fed. They've been pretty active until yesterday. My water change seem to have helped, but my two snails that were flipped are seemingly still lethargic.
Water flow, parameters and food would be the three things to look into. I've got umpteen trochus snails and they can suck a golf ball through 20 feet of garden hose - and my nutrient levels are sky high.

OP
OP
M

micl10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any dinos around?
i don't think so. i got some "gunk" on my sand because i'm acclimating some corals so i haven't vacuumed in a while...but everything looks green. no red slime in sight.

I've got umpteen trochus snails and they can suck a golf ball through 20 feet of garden hose - and my nutrient levels are sky high.
hehe, i don't know how to interpret this statement.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back