Somewhat new tank, just looking for comments.

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my first ever SW tank at the end of May/beginning of June, began adding livestock mid-July and think I am maxed out on fish. 55 gallon with 2 clowns, a diamond watchman goby, blue-green chromis, royal gramma, yellow coris wrasse, flame angel and yesterday added 3 springer damsels to round things our with some nice blue color. Also have CUC with cleaner, peppermint and fire shrimp, various snails, many hermit crabs and some emerald crabs. So far things seem to be going ok, yesterday my nitrates measured at 15.3 with a newly acquired Hanna tester. LFS guy says I am ready for softies, but I'm going to give it a couple more weeks to try to improve on nitrate levels and algae, which is not horrible, but there is some on the rocks and glass. Wanted to get some comments for this community on that. Not overly concerned as it just feels like the normal progression for a new tank. Some brown stuff which I figure is diatoms, and a little bit of green. I'm hoping the pinkish/purple stuff is coraline, but not entirely sure. Any thoughts are welcome.
algae.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my first ever SW tank at the end of May/beginning of June, began adding livestock mid-July and think I am maxed out on fish. 55 gallon with 2 clowns, a diamond watchman goby, blue-green chromis, royal gramma, yellow coris wrasse, flame angel and yesterday added 3 springer damsels to round things our with some nice blue color. Also have CUC with cleaner, peppermint and fire shrimp, various snails, many hermit crabs and some emerald crabs. So far things seem to be going ok, yesterday my nitrates measured at 15.3 with a newly acquired Hanna tester. LFS guy says I am ready for softies, but I'm going to give it a couple more weeks to try to improve on nitrate levels and algae, which is not horrible, but there is some on the rocks and glass. Wanted to get some comments for this community on that. Not overly concerned as it just feels like the normal progression for a new tank. Some brown stuff which I figure is diatoms, and a little bit of green. I'm hoping the pinkish/purple stuff is coraline, but not entirely sure. Any thoughts are welcome.
algae.jpg
Whats your numbers

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. I agree, I think you’re maxed on fish. Looks like you have some coralline starting. Some of the green could even be coralline as far as I know. One of the first places I noticed new growth was on my snail’s and hermit’s shells. Toss some corals in. Softies maybe an easier, inexpensive lps or two. I think you’ll be alright.

OP
OP
Tim McLellan

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your numbers
I mentioned nitrates at 15.3, phosphates seems to be 0.03, salinity is a hair above 1.025, temp at about 74 F. I haven't yet graduated to measuring things like Ca, Mg, Alk. Will get there as needed. I do 10% WC every week, haven't missed one yet. Other plan is to upgrade from basic pet shop bright white LED lights to some AI Prime 16 lights by the end of this year, once I get the funding lol.

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algae.jpg

I've used this and I have plenty of Coraline algae. I did have live rock from someone else's tank, so I can't know if it was the bottle that did it. But as far as reef hear goes, it's not terribly expensive.

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to the reefing world! You're good to throw in some softies and maybe even LPS. Corals need some nitrates and will probably bring yours down a little bit. For sure get mag, calc, and alk tester kits and test everything before hand. Very important elements depending on the type of coral you want. Currently though Xenia, toadstool, mushrooms, and GSP will be a good start with your tank (they like nitrates the best).

Rock is looking good. If you are wanting to speed up the Coraline process you need to seed your tank. Buying coral can do this as Coraline algea is found on the ceramic frags a lot of the time.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to raise temp a few degrees, slowly, and probably at least check alk and calcium. I’d imagine that if you’re doing regular water changes your alk and calcium should be within an acceptable range, but it’s worth checking.

OP
OP
Tim McLellan

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to raise temp a few degrees, slowly, and probably at least check alk and calcium. I’d imagine that if you’re doing regular water changes your alk and calcium should be within an acceptable range, but it’s worth checking.
Agree on the temp, all summer I was stuck at 80 F due to the ambient temps here in the desert southwest, but unwilling to spend the high $$ on a chiller just to get it down a few degrees. Now that it's cooling off here I may need to add the heater. Will keep an eye on that.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned nitrates at 15.3, phosphates seems to be 0.03, salinity is a hair above 1.025, temp at about 74 F. I haven't yet graduated to measuring things like Ca, Mg, Alk. Will get there as needed. I do 10% WC every week, haven't missed one yet. Other plan is to upgrade from basic pet shop bright white LED lights to some AI Prime 16 lights by the end of this year, once I get the funding lol.
Your numbers are good. 10-20 nitrates is great for softies and lps. Phospahtes are a little low but don't go chasing numbers. Will cause a lot more troubles than good.
I would run temp 77-80. Mine is set for 79. If you don't have a controller for you heater you need to have one. It will save your tank. I had a buddy fry his tank because of no controller. The heater malfunctioned on and it was terrible.

OP
OP
Tim McLellan

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers are good. 10-20 nitrates is great for softies and lps. Phospahtes are a little low but don't go chasing numbers. Will cause a lot more troubles than good.
I would run temp 77-80. Mine is set for 79. If you don't have a controller for you heater you need to have one. It will save your tank. I had a buddy fry his tank because of no controller. The heater malfunctioned on and it was terrible.
Thanks for the input, I will investigate controllers.

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the op said Flame Angel. I have a Flame Hawk in my 40b and love him!
It did say Flame angel. Haha I just ready it wrong yeah I love my little bugger. He's always rotating around his 5 perches haha

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Definitely looks good. My only caution about adding corals would be the lighting. I believe you mentioned it’s basic LED which I’m guessing means is built into the hood? If so it may not be strong enough to sustain corals

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back