Sony 6000 Lens Suggestions

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm really into photography , wanted to start taking some pictures and videos of my corals.... What lens do you guys use/suggest ?

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm really into photography , wanted to start taking some pictures and videos of my corals.... What lens do you guys use/suggest ?

A fast zoom should be sufficient. I shoot Fuji prime lenses just because they fit my style of shooting the best. I like to move around to get a shot instead of zooming. Fish are like any other subject. Sometimes they move fast sometimes slow. For coral you want a lens in the F2 range. It will allow you to get that fine point of focus with the background blurry.

I generally will start with Ken Rockwell’s lens reviews for any lens I’m considering. Some say he’s a goober, but his reviews are as tech as they come. Just search google with his name and your camera specs and it will pop up. Dude does literally every camera and lens combo on the planet and is very thorough.

Happy shooting!

9828eb09ed20485aec76e2e934560560.jpg

OP
OP
AlexDm

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fast zoom should be sufficient. I shoot Fuji prime lenses just because they fit my style of shooting the best. I like to move around to get a shot instead of zooming. Fish are like any other subject. Sometimes they move fast sometimes slow. For coral you want a lens in the F2 range. It will allow you to get that fine point of focus with the background blurry.

I generally will start with Ken Rockwell’s lens reviews for any lens I’m considering. Some say he’s a goober, but his reviews are as tech as they come. Just search google with his name and your camera specs and it will pop up. Dude does literally every camera and lens combo on the planet and is very thorough.

Happy shooting!

9828eb09ed20485aec76e2e934560560.jpg

Okay awesome thank you! When you mean by "A fast zoom" did you mean by a fixed lens? Also do u put some sort of gel filter when taking pictures?

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooms can be fast, but they can also be slower because they’re less expensive. Fixed lenses are always faster because they have no moving parts to deal with and fuss about with. No gel filters. Only post editing I use is an app called Snapseed. I shoot JPEG too. No time to fool around with RAW files on my laptop. Pics go from camera to phone to share. 99.9% of my pics are for social sharing so JPEG is perfect. Anyone who argues otherwise is most likely a pixel peeping gear head. No one is viewing your photos on 4K. No one. Your cameras megapixel doesn’t matter as much as companies say either. Around 20mp is fine. Anything more is a waste of processor speed and file size memory. Unless you plan to crop at 100%

958603b0c6347b2893957e60978c4b80.png
a whole bunch, which no one does on a practical level. But they’ll show you in the commercial. Haha!

Okay awesome thank you! When you mean by "A fast zoom" did you mean by a fixed lens? Also do u put some sort of gel filter when taking pictures?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back