Sony a6000- macro lens and filter for led's?

BShirley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using this setup, and do you have a recommendation for shooting corals lit by a Radion Pro?
Thanks in advance.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for all you photography experts!

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using this setup, and do you have a recommendation for shooting corals lit by a Radion Pro?
Thanks in advance.
Bump for all you photography experts!

I am not a photo expert but i do use Sony camera and lenses. Sony and nikon max out their custom white balance at about 10k which is not enough for accurate color rendition with blue leds. Canon cameras are much better with their custom white balance under blue leds and require little if any color correction in lightroom.

With Sony, you basically have two choices 1) if shooting under blue leds then you need to add a filter to your lens, typically an 85 or 85a, 85b or 85c but you still will require some temperature correction in lightroom. 2) you can add some additional led colors on your radions to not require either a filter or much color correction in lightroom.

If I had to do it over again, I would choose Canon but I got intrigued by Sony's mirrorless systems. Canon allows you to pretty much go from shooting your reef pictures to posting online. I have seen a really wonderful photographer color correct Nikon to perfection, but his skills with both the camera and photoshop are professional. Way out of my league. Hope this helps you.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s an old thread but I just got a Sony A6000 and I have a macro lens on the way. I came to the realization the white balance won’t be enough lol any advice on where/what lens filter to get? I run T5s hybrid but take most of my pictures with only the Leds on 420nm

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot with a sony a6000 on the standard kit lens with some extension tubes. For my pictures, I typically adjust the white balance down to around 6k or 7k and I will use a orphek orange filter (if I am shooting under blues; if under whites, I sometimes use the yellow filter or just up the WB). Then in lightroom, I can up the white balance if I need. With this setup, I find I can get colors pretty close

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back