Soon to be Switching from MH to Ocean Revive Arctic S026 LEDs

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rizon25, how about a full tank shot? The corals in the above photos look spectacular!

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just installed mine today on my 75. I will be putting them on a 210 and probably order a couple more. Blues at 30% whites at lowest point. Plus pile of stuff they replaced.:bigsmile:
Resampled_2013-11-08_11-45-45_873.jpg
Resampled_2013-11-08_08-23-28_418.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what made you going from MH to LED?

For me it was several issues. Heat and energy was number one. I have 4 tanks and now all 4 are leds (OceanRevive and EverGrow) and my June through Sept electric bills averaged $45/mth less this year than last year (and electric rates have gone up). Seriously! Less energy at the lights, my chillers hardly run any more and my house A/C works less. I also like the sunrise and sunset features. I like not having to spend $400+ every 12-18 months for new bulbs (both t5 and mh). Between electricity savings and bulb savings, all the led fixtures I got (6) will have paid for themselves in less than 2 years! And now, almost 1 year later I can say that my corals are doing every bit as good now as they were under lots of mh & t5... maybe better. And I like the look of the tank better.

OP
OP
R

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just installed mine today on my 75. I will be putting them on a 210 and probably order a couple more. Blues at 30% whites at lowest point. Plus pile of stuff they replaced.:bigsmile:
Resampled_2013-11-08_11-45-45_873.jpg Resampled_2013-11-08_08-23-28_418.jpg

Nice tank! It looks like you've had that tank set up for a while now. Let me know how it goes. I started at 50% blues and 35% white. I bleached my acans and had to move them to the side! These fixtures are powerful! How high up did you set them at?

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! It looks like you've had that tank set up for a while now. Let me know how it goes. I started at 50% blues and 35% white. I bleached my acans and had to move them to the side! These fixtures are powerful! How high up did you set them at?
yea my tank is about 6 years old and really overgrown. I have the leds in a canopy and only about 7" off the water. Not great coverage this way especially with a center brace. They will be about 15" off the water in my 210 but I ll need another one or two. I really like them so far. I have the blues come on and then the whites about 2 hours later then the same going off. I'm going to give it a few more days and turn them up a bit. I didn't want to fry anything because the Phoenix bulbs they replaced were going on 13 months and not putting off much par

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea my tank is about 6 years old and really overgrown.

That's not overgrown, that's just getting to look like a reef! Really nice. And I love the DIY frag rack on the front glass. I made mine with the magnets that used to hold up my old MaxiJet powerheads. It's huge and can hold a ton of stuff. I can't wait to get started on my new frag tank build. But I have a lot of prep work to do first. The 'honey do' list is getting pretty long!

OP
OP
R

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates after about 1 month:

Good changes I've noticed:
1. My electricity usage has gone down. I live in a 5400 square foot house and my electricity bill has always been high. However, after changing to metal halides, I've noticed that my bill this month will be significantly lower this month. I did not make any new changes in electricity usage except for the metal halide/vho switch. In October and November, we never used the a/c since our windows are double paned and insulated well. Therefore I'm attributing the lower costs to the metal halide change.

My Bill: I switched to LEDs on October 23rd. The metal halides were gone on Oct 22nd. I didn't notice that I changed my lights in accordance to my electricity bill end date lol. So my bill last month was $263.83 and my bill this month will be around $195.00. I could buy more corals with the money saved!
Untitled.jpg

2. My 15 gallon ATO used to last me 8 days with the mh/vho setup. It now lasts 14 days. RO/DI water savings as well.

Bad changes:
1. My acans aren't doing as well so I had to move them out of the light into the shade. I have since moved them back under the leds near the front of the tank and they are now slowly adapting to the new light.

No change:
1. My growth has been the same on my corals. The color on my sps has been holding amazingly. No browning of sps except for my strawberry shortcake. But I think it browned out because the snail knocked it into the sand over night.
Some pictures:
Metal halide fts:
IMG_7861.jpg

arctic s026 fts:
IMG_8121.jpg

metal halide rainbow acan:
IMG_7867.jpg

same acan under led:
IMG_8123.jpg

metal halide garf:
IMG_7876.jpg

LED garf 1 month:
IMG_8125.jpg

ATl Shades of Fall:
IMG_7878.jpg

SOF under LED 1 month later:
IMG_8126.jpg

Joe the Coral MH:
IMG_7865.jpg

JTC LED:
IMG_8130.jpg

Monti caps:
IMG_8127.jpg

OP
OP
R

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! :) do you like your Vanderbilt chromi?

Thanks! I bought the Vanderbilt chromi at reef raft. I bought three of them but they killed each other off till there was only one left. I really like the colors and it gets along with all my fish. I wanna get more but I'm afraid they'll just kill each other again. Same thing happened with my blue green chromi and cardinal fish. I have one of each of those now too.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks!!! I like the Vanderbilt chromis and was wondering if I should get some. Do you think I should try one? or get like 3?

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rizon
Great thread, tank looks amazing!

I have a question and correct me if I'm wrong but the only why you can dim your led fixture is with the knobs? Or how is the programming done for the ramping up and down throughout the day?

Thanks

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Arctic model, the dimming can only be done with two knobs. One controls only blues while the other control all the other colors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow very nice; I am waiting for the newer 24/7 model to come out in january (the same as the S206 but has the build in controller).
can't wait

great looking tank

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The built in controller sounds like some awesome sauce, but I probably won't buy it unless I can sell this one I have.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh great! The new article is coming out with a built in controller? Do you know if it will be compatible with the Apex????? Hope so! radion are so expensive!

OP
OP
R

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, the model I have can only be dimmed manually via the knobs. I use my controller to set the photoperiod of the blues and whites.

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow very nice; I am waiting for the newer 24/7 model to come out in january (the same as the S206 but has the build in controller).
can't wait

great looking tank

The built in controller sounds like some awesome sauce, but I probably won't buy it unless I can sell this one I have.

Oh great! The new article is coming out with a built in controller? Do you know if it will be compatible with the Apex????? Hope so! radion are so expensive!

OK guys, there is some confusion here and we want to clear this up. The new Arctic T247 does NOT have a built-in controller, it has a clock, two built-in timers to turn the channels on and off and the dimmer knobs are gone and replaced with digital dimmer controls. It does NOT do sunrise and sun set ramping. You set the power setting on each channel anywhere from 0% to 100% and the timer will turn the channels on and off. It's way better than dimmer knobs (way more accurate) and no need for extra mechanical timers... oh, and only one power cord. But it is not a controller for doing sunrise and sunset ramping.

I hope that clears up the confusion. You can't add controllers to an Arctic S026 for just $25.00 per fixture. Controllers add about $100.00 to the cost of the fixture. We are working on new electronics that will allow the next generation of OceanRevive fixture to be controlled by a reef controller. It has been designed, built and is currently being tested, but it's will be at least another couple of months before it is tested enough to be released. Just making it work is one thing, but if we are going to sell them, it needs long term testing to be sure it will stand up to our standards.

Stan

Back