Soon to be Switching from MH to Ocean Revive Arctic S026 LEDs

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I find the ramping function to be useless, I never had the option of ramping my Mh or T5 fixtures, I swapped out a G2 Radion for the OR Arctic and my corals (SPS LPS polyps) love me for it.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the clarification!

It's a nice feature to have because it gives our corals and fish a bit more of a natural overall feel.

I might just wait for the new lights to come out.

I'll be looking out for them

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I find the ramping function to be useless, I never had the option of ramping my Mh or T5 fixtures, I swapped out a G2 Radion for the OR Arctic and my corals (SPS LPS polyps) love me for it.

I have both. Fixtures that ramp over my DT's and fixtures that don't over my working tanks. I like the fact that as the day goes by my tank changes. It's very blue for 3-4 hours at sunrise, it get more and more white and at 8 hours is at midday white and then does the reverse for the 8 hour sunset which ends for 3 hours of very blue. But then I'm home all day and get to enjoy it. The OceanRevive fixtures with dimmers are fine over my frag tank and QT. I like that they are adding timers and getting rid of one power cord. Those are nice improvements.

OP
OP
R

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 24, 2014 updates. So I just wanted to update my thread with some SPS pictures and how they've been doing under the new LEDs. I guess it will just be easier to post side by side pictures of 2 months growth pics. I had recently purchased some clown gobys which caused a lot of my sps polyps to retract and then I noticed that they started eating some of the polyps as well. For those with SPS dominant reefs, I suggest staying away from Clown Gobys! I have since caught them and placed them in my sump where they will stay. Slowly the polyps are coming back out. Growth is decent with led's. I can't tell if growth is any faster than when I had metal halides, but I like the growth I am seeing, especially since I have less expenditures on electricity, ro water, bulb changes, etc. I did notice that the initial switch from mh to led's caused a slowdown in growth initially but now the growth is finally picking up again. I am guessing that they do need to acclimate to the new lighting. Here are the pics:

Rainbow Pocci and Setosa
Nov 18 2013:
IMG_8124.jpg

Jan 24, 2014
IMG_8221.jpg

Garf Bonsai
Nov 18 2013
IMG_8125.jpg

Jan 24, 2014
IMG_8223.jpg

Green Slimer
Oct 30, 2013
IMG_8007.jpg

Jan 24, 2014
IMG_8225.jpg

ATL Shades of fall
Nov 18, 2013
IMG_8126.jpg

Jan 24 2014
IMG_8226.jpg

Monti cap colorwheel
Nov 18, 2013
IMG_8127.jpg

Jan 24, 2014
IMG_8227.jpg

Joe the Coral
Nov 18, 2013
IMG_8130.jpg

Jan 24, 2014
IMG_8228.jpg

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW...proof is in the pictures! Love colors on your rainbow acan.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great follow up! And nice growth too. I found the same thing when I switched. It took awhile for the corals to acclimate and then they started growing just as good as they did under 1000w of MH. Your current shots look like the light is a bit brighter and the corals look like you are close to the max PAR they could take. Is that what you see when you look at them (as opposed to the photos)? What power settings are you running now?

OP
OP
R

rizon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great follow up! And nice growth too. I found the same thing when I switched. It took awhile for the corals to acclimate and then they started growing just as good as they did under 1000w of MH. Your current shots look like the light is a bit brighter and the corals look like you are close to the max PAR they could take. Is that what you see when you look at them (as opposed to the photos)? What power settings are you running now?

Thanks Ron! You know I did notice that my slimer and other corals lightened up lately. I haven't been feeding as much which is probably the reason why. I will start to feed more and probably reduce the lights a bit. Thanks for looking out!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only bleached one coral in 18 months with leds. But I hate to see anybody lose corals!

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics! I wanted to know how the tank was doing and if anyone has heard a time frame on the release of the new OR Apex controllable fixtures coming out?

mattgreene22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 24, 2014 updates. So I just wanted to update my thread with some SPS pictures and how they've been doing under the new LEDs. I guess it will just be easier to post side by side pictures of 2 months growth pics. I had recently purchased some clown gobys which caused a lot of my sps polyps to retract and then I noticed that they started eating some of the polyps as well. For those with SPS dominant reefs, I suggest staying away from Clown Gobys! I have since caught them and placed them in my sump where they will stay. Slowly the polyps are coming back out. Growth is decent with led's. I can't tell if growth is any faster than when I had metal halides, but I like the growth I am seeing, especially since I have less expenditures on electricity, ro water, bulb changes, etc. I did notice that the initial switch from mh to led's caused a slowdown in growth initially but now the growth is finally picking up again. I am guessing that they do need to acclimate to the new lighting.

Loved your earlier progression...do you have an update you could share? Also, have you taken PAR readings? I keep SPS in my 46bow and am starting a 120g build...do you think I could keep SPS/acros at the sand bed as I do now with T5. Trying to plan for placement if I use two S026 on the 120g...dims are 48"x24"x24". Thanks! Really dig your tank

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 74 41.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back