OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not convinced that the bacteria is what set up the tank so fast. I honestly think it was the live rock. I got from a store that’s about 10 minutes from my house. They have about 6 giant troughs of love rock that waterfall into each other, so it must have already had tons of good bacteria in it. But I’d be remisced if I didn’t make the point that I used bacteria too. It may have been a combination of things that made mine cycle so fast. Or perhaps one out weighed the rest. the bacteria will colonize naturally either way. My main point is that there’s not a set timeline. It could be 2 days or it could be 2 months. The end point is nitrates and 0 ammonia and nitrites even with addition of an ammonia source
Thanks Bleigh

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ... where are you at now Gary?
Are you testing your water? What kits did the store sell you? Brand names and type of kits please .. details are important with testing. Some brands are crap, and some tests are not needed.

Are you UP on the Nitrogen cycle and know what to look for?

Please give us some info to help us help you along with your new 'addiction' :p

Peter Petronis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Gary here, I just put together my aquarium on Friday gone, put in sand and live rock along with water from the local fish shop. I was told to just leave it and it will go through its cycle, but I really don't know if its doing anything at all or if I need to be helping it. Could anyone help me here please?

IMHO go to the BRS website and watch the BRS/WWC video series. I cycled using that method and had zero problems and a minimal ugly stage and a minor bacteria bloom. (Which if I had a uv sterilzer would probably not happen) Any way good luck
Pete

OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ... where are you at now Gary?
Are you testing your water? What kits did the store sell you? Brand names and type of kits please .. details are important with testing. Some brands are crap, and some tests are not needed.

Are you UP on the Nitrogen cycle and know what to look for?

Please give us some info to help us help you along with your new 'addiction' :p
Not at the house just now back later and I will tell you the 3 kits they gave me. Not sure what to do with them, as the shop said come back in a week with a sample of my water and they will test it for me. You’re right though it is addictive very much so, and exciting

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the house just now back later and I will tell you the 3 kits they gave me. Not sure what to do with them, as the shop said come back in a week with a sample of my water and they will test it for me. You’re right though it is addictive very much so, and exciting
So, what kits did they sell you ???
Alk, Ca and Mag are the big 3 I would like to see results from ...

Learn how to test your water on your own without relying on the LFS.
Can't always trust them or their kits

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back