Soooo New ...I need advice with my brand new aquarium

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Gary here, I just put together my aquarium on Friday gone, put in sand and live rock along with water from the local fish shop. I was told to just leave it and it will go through its cycle, but I really don't know if its doing anything at all or if I need to be helping it. Could anyone help me here please?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Gary,

Check out this thread, should help out :)
tenor.gif

OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Gary,

Check out this thread, should help out :)
tenor.gif
Thanks Crabs Mc, I did read this and its excellent, but I'm not sure if i need to be adding anything to help things along, shop gave me a couple of test kits and a bottle of bacteria, like I know what I'm doing :) don't get me wrong I want to know what I'm doing

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad you joined us! Read the link that Crabs posted for you and it will give you LOTS of help to get started. Also the BRS videos really help newcomers to the hobby a lot. Start with their 52 weeks of reefing (episode one ;)) and go from there: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/category/52-weeks-of-reefing. But we are here too if you need anything. Welcome!.
Welcome japanese.gif

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Crabs Mc, I did read this and its excellent, but I'm not sure if i need to be adding anything to help things along, shop gave me a couple of test kits and a bottle of bacteria, like I know what I'm doing :) don't get me wrong I want to know what I'm doing
A little food every couple days will help keep the bacteria fed and the cycle going :)

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All gave good advice. I will say, my live rock and sand was super healthy and I also added two bottles of bacteria. My tank cycled in a few days, which shocked me. There’s not a set time frame. So just keep testing and if you’re getting nitrate and no ammonia or nitrite after you’ve added food, it’s cycled.

OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All gave good advice. I will say, my live rock and sand was super healthy and I also added two bottles of bacteria. My tank cycled in a few days, which shocked me. There’s not a set time frame. So just keep testing and if you’re getting nitrate and no ammonia or nitrite after you’ve added food, it’s cycled.
So should I add some of the bacteria I have? I have literally added nothing except water live rock and sand

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I added bacter 7 (Brightwell) every 2-3 days and fed 1x per week testing 24 hrs after feeding.
Do expect ugly stages with Algae, cyanobacteria and diatoms which is brown film. All part of new tank establishment

welcome57.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back