Sooooo yea this might be a problem...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just be straightforward, there’s no magic cure to remove nitrates. There are so many sources in a tank that could be responsible. I’ve tried the fuge, adding bacteria, blasting off rocks, WC, skim heavy, reduce feedings, and the list goes on. Takes a long time to dial it back in. But with slow and steady changes with some dedication, it happens but not quickly.

Well I'm gonna stop complaining about having to ADD nitrates to my system.

That sounds like work compared to "Hey Alexa, run frag nitrate doser for 10 minutes please." :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The old saying that the solution to pollution is dilution, is appropriate here.
Water changes. Several moderately sized ones every couple days.
Manually remove as much algae as possible and maybe time to give reef cleaners a call for some extra cleanup crew.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur denitrator thirded! Added one about 6 weeks ago to mitigate a high nitrate problem. Got 700 system gallons down from nitrate levels between 40 and 80 to below 5. Funding the media can be a bit of a challenge though.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur denitrator thirded! Added one about 6 weeks ago to mitigate a high nitrate problem. Got 700 system gallons down from nitrate levels between 40 and 80 to below 5. Funding the media can be a bit of a challenge though.
Yes they work very well. The tricky part is figuring out how much of a crutch it really is and using that knowledge to then seek out root causes. The goal really needs to be to ween off the sulfur reactor as much as possible.

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For manual removal, consider letting the glass go a week or so without scraping. Then once there is a thickish mat of algae scrape it off the glass while siphoning for a water change. It’s like running algae scrubber that doesn’t need broken in :)
+1

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tricky part is figuring out how much of a crutch it really is and using that knowledge to then seek out root causes.

Don't disagree .. the 'root cause' in my case is that I have too many fish in my system.

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a silly question, but what can someone with a 75g with penguin 350 hob filters do to avoid water changes every 1-2 weeks. Tank very lightly stocked and will only have softies

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news haha yussss, softies will take care of my nitrates? Perhaps I'll do a 10% WC once a month just to bring other readings up a little if needed, like calcium and whatever ?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates at? I always found that if I dosed phosphates, to keep them above zero, my nitrates dropped. Guess if you are phosphate limited, the natural processes that use up nitrates come to a halt.

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the rando question on your thread, but had just learned some thing new. Thanks :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone! The plan for now is bigger consistant water changes and manual removal with vacuuming the sand bed.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! The plan for now is bigger consistant water changes and manual removal with vacuuming the sand bed.
That monster tank could uses a AWC. Get two of these from you buddy Ryan.
1573582427060.png

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a believer in algae harvest over water changes. Or, maybe more specifically, scraping/brushing all algae off and then sucking it out with a small water change. Repeat until gone or significantly diminished.

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y’all, don’t freak...until your nitrates are way up!
Like, way up!
C612A46A-B216-4D0E-BD03-90A47ACD9E8F.jpeg

As most have said...couple of WCs to dilute, and cut feeding. Only other thing to consider is something to consume it (chaeto, media(I.e. seachem pond matrix).

Highest risk, IME, is an over correction and ending up with another issue...

Good luck!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back