Sound off: What are you dealing with? Maybe someone can help!

Are you currently facing issues in your tank? Tell us why in the thread!

• Yes

Votes: 119 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 79 28.7%
  • Always something

Votes: 77 28.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This most awesome saltwater and reef aquariums is one of ups and downs, highs and lows! One day you're fired up about your pristine pink covered rocks in a box and the next you see a speck of green and the doubt begins to grow along with the algae!

This hobby is not perfect as we all know and it's going to keep you guessing a lot of times but I for one think it helps to just "get it out there" sometimes! Let someone know what's going on, spill the beans and sound off! Who knows maybe someone will help you over the hump!

So what are you currently going through?

Untitled-4.jpg

image via @Broadfield for inspiration!

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Not sure" should be an option. :)

I got back an ICP test that showed I had 0 iodine and low boron in my tank.... should I care? I'm not sure. I do 10-15% AWC weekly, so it should be getting replenished, not sure if I should be dosing additionally or not.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issues. I always have issues. I am causing most of them I think.
T0o many options and settings on my stuff.
A reply to some pictures I posted has caused me to order a 48" MH and T-5 combo this morning. The only thing I will have to worry about is when it comes on and turns off. My tank is a year old now and isn't where I want it to be.

Cmac474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Rainbow BTA that suddenly took a bad turn. Color is going away and tentacles looking awful, not bleaching, just getting darker - a purpleish color.
I think maybe my new lights were too strong, its the only thing that changed. I lowered the intensity a bit. In all my years of keeping anemones I've never seen one do this.

IMG_20190316_162416.jpg

IMG_20190228_194345_592.jpg

Michael Flux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA, when I first started the tank a year ago I used country tap water, it was close but no dice. After a few months I swapped over to rodi and the tank has since stabilized. I bought a dose of reef flux to clean up the patches, and when I’m home to deal with it I’ll cycle that through. And secondly is the colouration of my acans sucks.

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently Changed flow and light settings, removed my UV and refugium, did 2 large water changes, Stopped feeding pellets, and added a bunch of corals all in a months time. Tank is looking better than ever I'm just waiting and hoping it's not a fluke

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates.

Been battling these things for months. Looks better one day and terrible the next. These things are getting the better of for sure. Don't even want to post pics of tank cause it looks terrible.
One use of phosguard cured this for me. Pulls silicates from water but also pulls phosphates so be careful about that.

Rcollick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a problem with my Monti caps. The new growth looks great. The center part is all gray. I hear people say low potassium but ICP test came back at 380

RC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP’s polyps are going from bright green to brown is it a placement issue?

RC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GSP’s polyps are going from bright green to brown is it a placement issue?

RC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have GSP polyps that are going from green to purple is it a lighting issue?

marcus aurelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can't seem to lower my phosphates. I have changed out my rock, due to cycle never finished. I have only been feeding frozen every two days to help. But nothing seems to work.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My significant other asking me where did all my money go. [emoji14]

I cant help with that

Thank you for your order from CustomAquariums.com.
Once your package ships we will send an email with a link to track your order. Your order summary is below. Thank you again for your business.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates.

Been battling these things for months. Looks better one day and terrible the next. These things are getting the better of for sure. Don't even want to post pics of tank cause it looks terrible.
what methods are you using right now to battle them?

I had dinos when my nutrients bottomed out while on vacation. i implemented lots of things but finally found a recipe that worked for me (3 months later-aarg!)

i dosed a few mls of nitrate and phosphate to get off "0's", raised pH by converting one of my BRS reactors into CO2 scrubber, i lowered my lighting intensity by half and focused on the blue spectrums, no water changes, no skimming. Then what seems to be the key that turned things around for me was dumping extra pods and phyto into the system. weekly doses of pods and daily doses of 20ml (ocean magik) phytoplankton (algae barn). I started seeing a reduction after day 2. Then added my little 15 watt UV to draw in and return directly from the display while using tooth brush on rocks daily. Also used my eheim sludge extractor to siphon the top layer of sand daily. Within a few days they were gone to the point of not being visible anymore.

i would suggest buying an affordable microscope from amazon in order to i.d which type of dino you have. i had prorocentrum which led me to add my UV.

Good luck it's lots of work but they can be beat.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dealing with urchins ripping corals off my rock. I glue, epoxy, glue double layer it and NOTHING keeps them from stealing my frags.

Suggestions on stronger adhesion?

urchin.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could probably use reef safe mortar mix if you would never need to re-position the coral, but you would have to let it set up in air a bit (small ball) and have to hold the coral in place for a quite a while until it holds. marco rocks sell some serious stuff. when it's cured it's much stronger than even your rock. Marco states theirs cures fast under water, although i haven't tried it in that application. Only dry rock application for me.

xilni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, one of my fish has ich, realistically I should have quarantined them all but I get all my fish from the same LFS that I got all my live rock and coral from so I got lazy and complacent.

Grabbing some polyp labs medic tonight and hoping it helps so I don’t have to result to the nuclear option of emptying the tank of all fish for 2+ months.

On a more minor issue, learned how much of my salinity the protein skimmer can export if I’m not careful and run it too wet. Couldn’t figured out why the salinity kept dropping in the absence of a leak/ATO failure until I landed on some discussions about skimmer salt export.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back