Sources of Aluminum, thoughts on DIY tank tops?

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did my first ICP test on my tank. Most things are looking good...

Though, Aluminum came back high (253ug/l), along with some tin (2.933ug/l). I've done a lot of searches on possible sources, and I'll be checking all things metal that come close to the tank or are supposed to be sealed, though one thing I've yet to see brought up that stood out to me is the DIY tank top (Red Sea brand). The joints and screen mesh are plastic, but the frame is aluminum. Could this be a possible source I want to consider? It is regularly exposed to saltwater, mostly through water vapor/spray. It is sitting only 1" above the tank surface, and being a large cover, when removing/replacing the corners have randomly but infrequently dipped in the tank. Salt creep is usually seen around the joints too. My thought on this is that the salt creep which I see in the corners, when getting cleaned off with fresh water, will have bits fall into the tank likely adding Al to the water.

Any thoughts on this? I do likely have other sources I need to check out. I usually keep magnet glass cleaners in the tank water, which who knows maybe they are contributing, and I already saw a rusty gate valve screw on my skimmer that I have to address. I also had put some nano bio cubes into a cup in my sump so that I could seed and use for future tanks. So as I said, I likely have other sources, but the giant aluminum framed screen top just seems to be standing out the most to me.

Thoughts?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those aluminum frames anodized? That should keep the frame from corroding and leaching aluminum into water. Plus they are above the water line. I think it would have to be sitting in the water to leach into the water. I would look elsewhere for the source, imo.

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear to be anodized, definitely not painted. It's the joints where the cuts are made that get the most salt creep, which made me wonder.

The Marine pure nano blocks, all marble sized, were less than 1/2 a media cup full. If they do leech, all my tank water is moving through this area. Those were removed just now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back