Spaghetti Worm?

Zakary2003

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2023
Messages
602
Reaction score
288
Location
Jacksonville
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the eldritch abominations is this thing and what is it doing? Is it broadcast spawning?

I think that it's a spaghetti worm. I've never seen one that large in my tank, and I've never seen one out of the sand before.

I tried to capture it but it was too slippery. Hopefully it's harmless.
 
I would agree that it's a spaghetti worm, and yes they sometimes release eggs/sperm into the water.

Apparently some species do so based on the lunar cycle. This makes sense because when all worms spawn at the same time, it's far more likely to produce offspring.

I would be really interested to know if your lights are simulating the lunar cycle, or if this worm has other means to know the moon phase.
 
I would agree that it's a spaghetti worm, and yes they sometimes release eggs/sperm into the water.

Apparently some species do so based on the lunar cycle. This makes sense because when all worms spawn at the same time, it's far more likely to produce offspring.

I would be really interested to know if your lights are simulating the lunar cycle, or if this worm has other means to know the moon phase.
I do have the lunar channel set on my AI hydra 32 via the lunar channel on the MXM module for my apex. It could definitely be related. But I sleep with windows closed so it has no access to the outside moonlight or anything.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new