Specific Gravity Redundancy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wieloch89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wieloch89

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2017
Messages
487
Reaction score
356
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dropped my refractometer a few weeks back, recalibrated it(or so I thought), and went about my business. I usually check calibration pretty often but, you know, life gets in the way and it slipped out of my routine. Anyway, corals and nems start looking off, either polyps not extending or losing color, so I go to the usual and check all of my parameters. ALK 7.5, Calc 440, mag 1350, nitrate 2-5, nitrite and ammonia 0. Everything is typical for where I dose to so I check SG and the refractometer reads 1.030. There’s no way right? So I calibrate and get 1.022. Puzzled I recheck the calibration and got something completely different from when I calibrated it 3 minutes prior. So I try to get a consistent number and nothing is repeating from the calibration fluid, tank water, and mixing barrel. I check with a hydrometer and it says my mixing barrel is 1.027 and my display is 1.025. So I adjusted the mixing barrel to 1.025, and still didn’t feel confident in the readings. I then decided to wait and get a better option for testing and had a digital refractometer overnighted. When I tested my water, the display was at 1.027 and the mixing barrel at 1.029! Not what I wanted to see.

I’m slowly doing 5 gallon water changes every other day pulling out see water and putting in fresh water, 180 gallon total volume, to correct the issue.

Anyway, what does everyone use as a redundancy for checking SG or do we all just hope and pray that our chosen method is always correct?
 
Sorry to say I don't have a "back up" plan on SG testing. If I break my Refractometer, it's order one online and wait for it to show up.
 
Sorry to say I don't have a "back up" plan on SG testing. If I break my Refractometer, it's order one online and wait for it to show up.
Me neither, but I trusted a broken tool and it almost cost me all of my livestock. I also should have checked it a few times after I dropped it but hind sight is 20/20 right? Or at least that’s what they say lol.
 
Me neither, but I trusted a broken tool and it almost cost me all of my livestock. I also should have checked it a few times after I dropped it but hind sight is 20/20 right? Or at least that’s what they say lol.

Yes that's the way it goes sometimes. Lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new