Specific methods for feeding mandarins

Nikko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious of any creative methods to target feed a Mandarin dragonet in a mature 90-gallon tank with six other fish that have relatively aggressive eating habits. I have two frostbite clownfish, one yellow tang, Hawaiian bristletooth tang, yellow watchman goby and a rainbow fairy wrasse. I understand it is best to feed them live copepods/arthropods, but am curious of interesting methods people have used to make sure their Mandarins are properly fed. Thanks ahead of time!!

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious of any creative methods to target feed a Mandarin dragonet in a mature 90-gallon tank with six other fish that have relatively aggressive eating habits. I have two frostbite clownfish, one yellow tang, Hawaiian bristletooth tang, yellow watchman goby and a rainbow fairy wrasse. I understand it is best to feed them live copepods/arthropods, but am curious of interesting methods people have used to make sure their Mandarins are properly fed. Thanks ahead of time!!
Do a search for @PaulB and his mandarin feeder. It is a simple DIY device but is super effective for keeping mandarins well fed.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pod hotel is an interesting idea:

https://sbreeflights.com/home/48-sb-pod-hotel.html

When you are ready to harvest, turn on a light source, like a fuge light about 15 minutes prior. Pods will scatter for cover in the hotel. Now pick up the pod hotel, move it into the display tank and shake vigorously. You can also place the hotel on the bottom sand near rock work and wait an hour or more. Then return the hotel to the sump.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, here’s my Mandrin. His name is Manny.
86df5dacbfe580964651198b411c7109.jpg
bf8421e40092d90c0b047ac6b0b08c08.jpg
9de6c603e33ecf5a6d65a7f61dbb20bf.jpg

He’s HUGE because he gets all the Rotifers, copepods and baby brine. I sell my extra pods and critters. They keep me busy especially with all the Phyto I’m playing with for feed andosing tanks. Manny was a little difficult, at first. He hid all the tune so I couldn’t see him very well for a good while. I started feeding him baby brine that I enrich with Phyto for the first 8-12 hours post hatch. He went crazy! He lives it and it even brought hi out from hiding. Of course he’s getting all the copepods that I infuse into my sump and display tank once a week at night, with lights out.

burtonboy182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, here’s my Mandrin. His name is Manny.
86df5dacbfe580964651198b411c7109.jpg
bf8421e40092d90c0b047ac6b0b08c08.jpg
9de6c603e33ecf5a6d65a7f61dbb20bf.jpg

He’s HUGE because he gets all the Rotifers, copepods and baby brine. I sell my extra pods and critters. They keep me busy especially with all the Phyto I’m playing with for feed andosing tanks. Manny was a little difficult, at first. He hid all the tune so I couldn’t see him very well for a good while. I started feeding him baby brine that I enrich with Phyto for the first 8-12 hours post hatch. He went crazy! He lives it and it even brought hi out from hiding. Of course he’s getting all the copepods that I infuse into my sump and display tank once a week at night, with lights out.
Can you share how you culture your pods? Would love to try this. Ive read a couple post about it but would like as much info going into it.
Thanks

OP
OP
Nikko

Nikko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, here’s my Mandrin. His name is Manny. He’s HUGE because he gets all the Rotifers, copepods and baby brine. I sell my extra pods and critters. They keep me busy especially with all the Phyto I’m playing with for feed andosing tanks. Manny was a little difficult, at first. He hid all the tune so I couldn’t see him very well for a good while. I started feeding him baby brine that I enrich with Phyto for the first 8-12 hours post hatch. He went crazy! He lives it and it even brought hi out from hiding. Of course he’s getting all the copepods that I infuse into my sump and display tank once a week at night, with lights out.

Pdisner, He looks chunky and healthy as can be! I am having a whale of a time finding any LFS that sells live arthropods, copepods or rotifers... ordered some online but they won't be here for a week or so. If you sell pods, please give me some contact info since I don't plan on culturing pods any time soon, you may have a new customer!

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pdisner, He looks chunky and healthy as can be! I am having a whale of a time finding any LFS that sells live arthropods, copepods or rotifers... ordered some online but they won't be here for a week or so. If you sell pods, please give me some contact info since I don't plan on culturing pods any time soon, you may have a new customer!

Let me know [email protected]. I can help everyone get a money saving home cultures for live food started. Great for Mandrin owners to be “pod-sufficient”. [emoji851]

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying my hand at the pod culture. Lost my 1st 2 as I ran out of phyto and used seachems not knowing it would trash the ph and kill everything.... Had to order more phyto as right now I can't get enough going. Would love if you could share your set up. If you do so here, I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeder keeps the fish spawning. All of these fish are spawning except for the shrimpfish

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture my own pods and in the beginning used a turkey baster to literally push the pods over the top of the mandarin. Eventually managed to get her to eat frozen brine shrimp and mysis as well as the pods.

OP
OP
Nikko

Nikko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeder keeps the fish spawning. All of these fish are spawning except for the shrimpfish

Thanks Paul B! I was going to try to build that this weekend but got busy. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone for your feedback ;Happy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back