SpectraPure Warranty for New Unit?

YEGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to Spectrapure, still waiting on a response, but wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and what the outcome was?

I purchased a Spectrapure CSPDI 90GPD 4 stage w/ TDS meter and Flush Kit on Dec 27 2023. I set up the tank on Feb 17 2024, Produced 65 gallons of water, TDS meter read 0. March 2nd, I produced 20 Gallons and did a water change, TDS meter read 0, but the following day I saw an increase in diatoms in the tank, which I expected for a new tank and didn't think much of. March 16, I produced another 20 gallons of water, TDS meter read 0, again saw an increase of diatoms in the tank the following day. April 6, I did another water change, TDS meter read 0, tank saw a huge increase in diatoms after being very clean of diatoms the week prior. I purchased a 3rd party TDS meter and tested some produced RODI water I had in a bucket and it read 1-2ppm. I just ran the RODI unit and the tds meter is reading 0, but the 3rd party is reading 1ppm. At this point I believe the unit as a whole is defective, if the tds meter was just defective, the water should still read 0, which makes me believe the filters/membrane are also defective, which would make sense as there is an increase in diatoms every single time I do a water change and producing only 125 gallons should not wear out the filters that quickly especially as our city water reads only 5-14ppm incoming.

I started the tank with live rock, live sand, bacteria in a bottle, so I do expect the diatoms to be less than usual and I have a pretty good CUC.

I am hoping they just replace the entire unit.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TDS in the bucket will almost certainly read higher. Have you checked directly out of the outlet tubing? To get zero with a hand held unit, I need to take a glass and rinse it out several times with rodi water (directly out of the tubing) before it gets to zero TDS.

You should expect diatoms with or without a great RODI for a while. I highly doubt the Spectrapure unit is defective. Just my opinion based on 20 or so years using Spectrapure RODI’s.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What DI resin(s) are you running? Mixed bed, cation, or anion?

Keep in mind, silicates don't register on a TDS meter. Silicates are what feed diatoms.

Further, why would you think a third party TDS meter is any more accurate? You have two different reference points that are nearly matched. Probably within margin of error. Also consider that using water in a bucket for your TDS testing will be contaminated by whatever is on the bucket as you add water to it.

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest @ReefingDreams

I think you're both right, similar thing happened to me, RODI turned out fine.

But what would the reason be for the increase in diatoms? Would it be the salt content?

Sorry not trying to hijack the post.

OP
OP
Y

YEGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwest @ReefingDreams

I think you're both right, similar thing happened to me, RODI turned out fine.

But what would the reason be for the increase in diatoms? Would it be the salt content?

Sorry not trying to hijack the post.
Well that would be my next question, if the RODI isn't defective, what would be the cause of the diatoms always getting worse after a water change? Something is feeding them.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that would be my next question, if the RODI isn't defective, what would be the cause of the diatoms always getting worse after a water change? Something is feeding them.
What DI stage(s) are you using? Anion removes silica. You may just have really high silica in your source water. If you're running a single mixed bed DI and have high nitrates, phosphates, and/or silica (or even high CO2), you can burn through anion DI resin very quickly.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, pick an ICP that measures your product RODI and your fresh mixed saltwater.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS will rise in water that is exposed to dust or whatever else is present in the air. You will have diatoms until the silicates are used up. There are silicates in the sand and it can take awhile for it to clear up. I would just let it run its course, you will get things that seem worse. I guess that’s why they call it the “Uglies”.

OP
OP
Y

YEGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What DI stage(s) are you using? Anion removes silica. You may just have really high silica in your source water. If you're running a single mixed bed DI and have high nitrates, phosphates, and/or silica (or even high CO2), you can burn through anion DI resin very quickly.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, pick an ICP that measures your product RODI and your fresh mixed saltwater.
Based off their website it states:

High rejection thin film composite (TFC) Reverse Osmosis membrane
SilicaBuster™ DI cartridge with semiconductor grade resins
Long life - high efficiency 0.5 MicroTec micron sediment filter
0.5 micron carbon block pre-filter with 20,000 ppm-gal chlorine removal capacity.

My concern would just be, do I stop doing water changes for now until the tank is a bit more established, instead of fueling it with the water changes?

OP
OP
Y

YEGReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS will rise in water that is exposed to dust or whatever else is present in the air. You will have diatoms until the silicates are used up. There are silicates in the sand and it can take awhile for it to clear up. I would just let it run its course, you will get things that seem worse. I guess that’s why they call it the “Uglies”.

That's interesting because I do vacuum the sand during the water changes, so maybe I'm just exposing the new sand, and the bucket definitely gets exposed to the air/dust for a bit sometimes. It definitely seems manageable when it gets uglier but just didn't want it to get too bad.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting because I do vacuum the sand during the water changes, so maybe I'm just exposing the new sand, and the bucket definitely gets exposed to the air/dust for a bit sometimes. It definitely seems manageable when it gets uglier but just didn't want it to get too bad.
You could be stirring it up, but let it run its course. Diatoms will go away and something else will take its place. Good or bad, we all go through it. I doubt that the new filters are the cause of this. You can always get a hold of John at reef cleaners to see what he recommends to help.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back