OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Thunder Optics spectrometer from France awhile ago.
Using this software:

It was adequate for my purposes.
Accuracy? Resolution? How did you calibrate it?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accuracy? Resolution? How did you calibrate it?
Got the calibration file from Thunderoptics.
This is the jpg of it.
SMA-100 06-17.JPG

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how about your spectrometers? What do you have? How would you rate them? What do you like or dislike about each one? If you could limit yourself to a single spectrometer to use as a reefkeeping hobbyist, which would you choose?
Soo finally decided to test our little red light therapy wand.
The supposed leds were listed as 650. The "laser" diodes were at 808nm.
652.9-ish and 802.4-ish
lasertherapyspectrum.JPG

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to ask whether the spectrometer, Spectrogryph and/or LEDs were off.
No idea. I was more worried about relative than any absolutes.With the software one can choose the area
to sample as well as the exposure.. Things that affect the spectrum.
So I went with KISS.
On one level it could be considered fine not off.. ;)

irtherapy.JPG

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use the fluorescent light spectrum? Worked well for me.
No I did.. That is the calibration spectrum that gets auto-loaded (post # 22) when I open the program. Only good for the x axis.. y is un-calibrated.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a hit piece.. My current experience is it isn't a current product.
Seems quite adequate.
Also seems unavailable. Could be wrong.
I bought a Thunder Optics spectrometer from France awhile ago.
Using this software:

It was adequate for my purposes.
That's why I asked. If we're comparing spectrometers, I'd want to be able to buy one for a comparison.

@AKReefing - the only one I'd recommend is the Hopoocolor HPCS300 (I think). Works well, easy to use, but it requires a PC. The others aren't worth discussing.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did.. That is the calibration spectrum that gets auto-loaded (post # 22) when I open the program. Only good for the x axis.. y is un-calibrated.
Sorry the threats are getting confusing. Yeah, I don't see a personal need for amplitude calibration when it comes to measuring LEDs.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I asked. If we're comparing spectrometers, I'd want to be able to buy one for a comparison.

@AKReefing - the only one I'd recommend is the Hopoocolor HPCS300 (I think). Works well, easy to use, but it requires a PC. The others aren't worth discussing.

Actually, I wasn't suggesting comparing spectrometers in this thread. I was just asking how you would rate any spectrometer you already own. Why not, in addition to describing your likes and dislikes, you could demonstrate how well your spectrometer(s) measure known spectra (the UV light you recommended and a standard white fluorescent light)?

I got a response regarding Spectryx: "I have 2 units left from the current batch. I will list them soon. In a couple of weeks we will launch our Amazon sales store."

Small batches could mean more attention to quality, but once you start selling on Amazon, who knows what will happen to quality and cost. Oh well, I have mine and I like it. It only cost me just $200. The resolution and precision are everything I need, although I do wish it had a sub-400nm capability.

Last edited:

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the UV light you recommended
Have you shared your results?

The Hopoocolor will read down to 350nm, but it is more expensive; however, given availability, the Spectryx option would be a good thing for the hobby. Besides GHL and Kessil, most LED lights don't have UV diodes, so looking below 400nm isn't needed.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you shared your results?

The Hopoocolor will read down to 350nm, but it is more expensive; however, given availability, the Spectryx option would be a good thing for the hobby. Besides GHL and Kessil, most LED lights don't have UV diodes, so looking below 400nm isn't needed.
Yes. See my previous post.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I wasn't suggesting comparing spectrometers in this thread. I was just asking how you would rate any spectrometer you already own. Why not, in addition to describing your likes and dislikes, you could demonstrate how well your spectrometer(s) measure known spectra (the UV light you recommended and a standard white fluorescent light)?

I got a response regarding Spectryx: "I have 2 units left from the current batch. I will list them soon. In a couple of weeks we will launch our Amazon sales store."

Small batches could mean more attention to quality, but once you start selling on Amazon, who knows what will happen to quality and cost. Oh well, I have mine and I like it. It only cost me just $200. The resolution and precision are everything I need, although I do wish it had a sub-400nm capability.
Verified that mine was $199.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a reply from the "maker". They've posted two on eBay. The look is different. I don't like that they say 350nm is typical, which it definitely isn't for mine.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a reply from the "maker". They've posted two on eBay. The look is different. I don't like that they say 350nm is typical, which it definitely isn't for mine.
Looks more like and is priced like) the 1000.
spectryx3.JPG

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. See post #7 in this thread for UV. I think I posted the white fluorescent spectrum in another thread (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/trying-out-a-new-spectrometer.1028010/page-2).

I agree that the majority of hobbyists don't need UVA because it has a minimal impact on photosynthetic response (this opinion varies depending on the source), and LEDs in the low-400nm region really don't seem to put out much as far as photons go, so even less contribution to photosynthesis. A small number of pigmentss fluoresce blue when stimulated by ~380-400nm light, so I'd like to experiment with that, and the ability to verify sellers' claims about their UVA LEDs would be necessary.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure there's going to be much consumer type review information for scientific measurement equipment, that and real spectroscopy equipment tends to be very well characterized in terms of configuration, so a lot of what you want to know can be gotten from a datasheet or user manual. Generally speaking, with these linear detector array desktop spectrometers, spectral resolution is going to be limited by the grating/optical plan and not by the detector itself, so anything over maybe 1024 elements is probably not going to get you lower FWHM.

There are a number of boutique-sized companies that make them for somewhat reasonable prices, but if you're looking for scientific equipment, the used market is going to be by far the least expensive place to get it. That said, the cost of a calibration may mean that any new unit offering a traceable calibration almost regardless of how low performance the spectrometer is may be worth the money.

For any spectrometer/spectroradiometer the irradiance calibration is going to be key - any reasonable spectrometer can be calibrated to some known spectral lines for wavelength accuracy and then analyzed for spectral resolution, but for that to be a measurement of the number of photons through the received area, you need the calibration and that calibration needs to include the sensing head (the calibration plane needs to be the part you'll have in your tank, in this case) and that's really the hard one to get. Either you pay someone to do it (hundreds, minimum), or you buy a reference and do the calibration yourself (more expensive), but then you can do it with different heads, different models, or outside of that first calibration cycle.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, but I made a simple request: "For those of you who own one or more spectrometers, please list them, describe how you'd rate it/them, and why."

Please note that I didn't ask for data sheets, how much they spent, whether they work in a lab or perform scientific research, etc. Can we PLEASE try to stick to that?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand your motivation to critique the packaging and price for a product you don't own. I paid $199 in January. I gave my honest assessment (great value for the price). Their current pricing is $299. They put it in a new case. You're still going down the "hit piece" path.
Well for one thing the 1000 was supposed to be more accurate.
Anyways not sure why you get your undies..
Facts.. no more no less.. period.
Yeesh..

Since the optical path is worked out you don't always just "throw stuff in a different case"..
Oh I've used ebay as my "appraisal service" for decades. Just so happens I could fit the 2 models in one screen capture.

Image looks like the 1000, verbage is like the 1000, and the price is what the 1000 was.
Says its the blue
Seems worth noting at least.

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, you feel the need to critique something you've never touched.

How about that French spectrometer? How accurate is it across the vis spectrum? What kind of resolution? That might be an actual contribution to the thread.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back