Spendid Dottybacks

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any experience or advice concerning splendid dottybacks? There is one in my local shop, and while I'm just starting off and are aware that neon dottybacks can be rough, I'm getting conflicting information on the spendid dottyback. They are beautiful fish, and I'd love to add one, but I need to know if I can add it midway through my stocking, or at the end with the clownfish.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got any experience or advice concerning splendid dottybacks? There is one in my local shop, and while I'm just starting off and are aware that neon dottybacks can be rough, I'm getting conflicting information on the spendid dottyback. They are beautiful fish, and I'd love to add one, but I need to know if I can add it midway through my stocking, or at the end with the clownfish.

I’ve never owned one, so let’s see what other people think!

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally add my clowns first what do I know? So I can tell you my purple is the perfect tank mate, friendly, great personality and great with new fish except..... anything the resembles him.
He's killed 2 diamond backs and one yellow goby, as well liveaquaria rates them all semi aggresive so yes you can add one in my opinion with conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally add my clowns first what do I know? So I can tell you my purple is the perfect tank mate, friendly, great personality and great with new fish except..... anything the resembles him.
He's killed 2 diamond backs and one yellow goby, as well liveaquaria rates them all semi aggresive so yes you can add one in my opinion with conditions.

Just my 2 cents.
Figured that clownfish get a pass on their aggression because they're famous, but I understand them to be damsels that people tolerate, so those suckers are last on my liat, but I'm adding like 6 of them. I suppose this dottyback can be in that group of additions.

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late reply here, I know. I have a splendid dottyback in my reef tank. She was the only fish until recently, when I added a striped fangblenny.

The dottyback tolerates the fangblenny (she charges at him to get him away from her cave if he spends too long near it, but doesn't harass him otherwise). She chased the fangblenny for a few days--not hunting him down, but definitely defending her turf. But now they seem to have achieved detente. I probably wouldn't try a different fish with her--IME, striped fangblennies are fairly laid-back and outgoing, possibly because of their venom. They seem to be able to hold their own. I'm not sure a more timid or high-strung fish would do as well.

I really like my splendid. She's beautiful, reef-safe, and interesting to watch when she comes out into the open. Drawbacks are the territorial aggression and cryptic behavior (I actually added the fangblenny so I'd have something to see regularly. The dottyback spends most of her time lurking in her cave).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very pretty fish. My understanding is that they are hit or miss with being aggressive, and usually somewhere in between the most peaceful orchid and the aggressive rest of the bunch.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on tank size and tankmates, and even when they are added. They aren't as peaceful as orchids, but not as aggressive as many others.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back