Spicy Lemon Favites Lost Yellow

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned this frag of spicy lemon Favites for about a month. At the store it was all the colors, red, yellow, green. Since owning it the yellow has all but disappeared except at the fringes near new growth.

Growth has been great, going from not even touching the plug edges to growing over the sides.

With that growth and yellow loss is it getting too much light?

SG: 1.026
Alk: 9.3
Ca: 430
Mg: 1340
NO3: 10
PO4: .08
XR15 Pro G5 on ecotech mount (8-9”) set to LPS template at about 45% (acclimating up to 52% so not exactly sure the current point). Coral is about 8” down from top of water, so around 16” from light, and nearly centered under fixture.

One pic is from the actual store I bought it (though not my exact frag) and the other is mine that I just took.
CEEECBF4-4617-4FE6-94A4-24CB1A0EDD21.jpeg
832B98B6-A5C6-4733-A55C-FDDC2E7AA639.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the stores picture of it or yours ? As I know some online stores will touch up their photos . Yours looks like it’s in more of a blueish lighting scheme . Try adding more whites to see if that resembles their pic but personally if your getting the growth and it’s healthy that’s a good thing . Slowly increase your whites if that did make a difference and you prefer it looking that way .

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the stores picture of it or yours ? As I know some online stores will touch up their photos . Yours looks like it’s in more of a blueish lighting scheme . Try adding more whites to see if that resembles their pic but personally if your getting the growth and it’s healthy that’s a good thing . Slowly increase your whites if that did make a difference and you prefer it looking that way .
That’s their photo but it’s also a LFS for me and the pic is accurate to what it looks like in real life in the store.
Definitely growing good and I am slowly moving from LPS to AB+ which is more white.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more than likely the lighting , you are aware that you can single out and raise the white lighting separately ?. I use the ab + with modifications . I like the ecotech radions they are great lights .if everything is doing great growing and healthy why are you switching to the AB+ setting ? Just slowly add whites !!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your does not have the feeding tentacles out and that seems to bring the yellow out more due to the yellow being on that area. That is the only real difference I can see. Beautiful coral.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your does not have the feeding tentacles out and that seems to bring the yellow out more due to the yellow being on that area. That is the only real difference I can see. Beautiful coral.
That’s a good point even when you add the white light try spot feeding to see if bring out the feeding tentacles and yellows up more . This reefer has a great point .

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more than likely the lighting , you are aware that you can single out and raise the white lighting separately ?. I use the ab + with modifications . I like the ecotech radions they are great lights .if everything is doing great growing and healthy why are you switching to the AB+ setting ? Just slowly add whites !!
Yes. That’s what I meant, I’m slowly increasing the whites individually to be closer to the 24% of AB+ as opposed to the 15 or whatever the LPS setting is. I’m also adding more SPS so want a bridge spectrum between the two.

OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point even when you add the white light try spot feeding to see if bring out the feeding tentacles and yellows up more . This reefer has a great point .
The feeders do come out more at night but not as much as some of my other corals. I recently started using AB+ (nutrition not lights :)) but will try and spot feed some chopped mysis.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeders do come out more at night but not as much as some of my other corals. I recently started using AB+ (nutrition not lights :)) but will try and spot feed some chopped mysis.
Try mixing a little oyster feast and reef roid or benefit with your chopped mysis as well

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your spot feeding make a slurry so that it will clump on the the coral . Just make it a little thicker , enough to apply it over and on the coral but not enough to clog your applicator

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back