Spider web on my first zoa ?!

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I just got my first ever coral on Saturday. 4 days later the Zoa frag is looking fine but I noticed this spider web thing surrounding the heads. No idea if it’s meant to be there, assuming not. Any one know what it is and how to get rid of it ?
8FB3823B-7A5C-4EAA-99FA-0514F0B6DD0B.jpeg
5FDE244C-64C3-4B13-85D0-D3563F22E557.jpeg
BEF2BAE0-B557-4266-B7FD-F4968F915EED.jpeg
5840540F-87B2-4E31-84A3-46427DE4AFB5.jpeg
8D6FE552-20C1-464E-AC65-FA2727447A6F.jpeg

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mucus, if I am not mistaken, is notmal when they are stressed, I've seen it before in posts, experienced it once with an octospawn that didn't like being target fed reef roids.

If its very new, I suspect ita adjusting much like how I've seen some of mine expell some of their zooxanthellae on introduction to the tank

I am not an expert however

OP
OP
afamuz

afamuz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mucus, if I am not mistaken, is notmal when they are stressed, I've seen it before in posts, experienced it once with an octospawn that didn't like being target fed reef roids.

If its very new, I suspect ita adjusting much like how I've seen some of mine expell some of their zooxanthellae on introduction to the tank

I am not an expert however
Hmm, I had target fed AB+ literally 30 minutes before I took that picture. Well guess i’m not doing that again

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I had target fed AB+ literally 30 minutes before I took that picture. Well guess i’m not doing that again
It may not have been the cause, or if they are very new, they just may need time before they like being target fed.

4 days is pretty new, i usually wait a couple weeks before feeding. They take time to adjust their biology to a new tank. While they adapt to every little difference in your tank from where they were before, they can get annoyed easily. Don't panic, observe, take your time.

I find it helped me a lot to look at every thread that pops up about asking for help or identifying something. Usually the responses to those at the very least give me the terms I need to be better at googling them, or to better describe what I am observing. Its like taking others experiences and absorbing them as your own the best you can in 3rd person.

Edit: on closer inspection, that absolutely looks like it is rejecting particulate food. Nothing to worry about as far as I know.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back