Splitting gig

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there have been posts in the past that talk about gigs splitting on their own, but I wanted to see if anyone could chime in that has had experience with this. I noticed my purple a week ago looking odd and saw that it was divided at one side of the mouth, but the mouth was still in tact. Fast forward 6 days and we’re in the exact same spot. I’ve heard of people seeing this and then trying to “help” it by cutting, but I’m not going to touch it and just see what happens.

Its very hard to get a photo of it, so many tentacles to get out of the way with one hand on a camera and one hand trying to part the sea of tentacles. Best photo I could muster…
D093369B-895E-4454-8FD6-F41016A2EEAB.jpeg
@Orion @D-Nak @Taylor t

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN

No experience on mine splitting but im sure they can do it without our help.
So you selling the split?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN

No experience on mine splitting but im sure they can do it without our help.
So you selling the split?
If it’s splits and survives I’ll be selling one. Not sure if it’s splitting or just tearing. Not sure how it would have torn, it hasn’t moved all year.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc

hey John. Only one I read about.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc

hey John. Only one I read about.
Yeah that’s the one I remember. I’m curious if they both survived long term

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s splits and survives I’ll be selling one. Not sure if it’s splitting or just tearing. Not sure how it would have torn, it hasn’t moved all year.
Maybe it hates this heat wave

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were someone who manually split a Gigantea in Australia. He reported that both did well. There was a thread on this at RC a few years ago.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were someone who manually split a Gigantea in Australia. He reported that both did well. There was a thread on this at RC a few years ago.
I’m experimenting with manual splitting gigs right now too. More on that later. It seems to me like an organic split has only been documented from a stressful event, so this may not lead anywhere for mine. I just hope it survives the injury if that’s what this is.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of 20 photos I tried taking, this is the best I could get this morning. If you squint hard enough you can see where there are no tentacles at the mouth. Mouth has been gaping wide open during this whole process
E07983A0-43CB-4FCC-8049-4080F2E070CC.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to find a single documented case of successful splitting. Hopefully yours is just a tear and that it recovers.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how long they survived after the split? I’m curious how long it takes to know whether they make it through.
He said that they actually looked good post split, and each part went into different tanks. One died first and the second one followed but he didn't give me a time frame. I can only assume that it happened within a few weeks because the owner was posting about it on a regular basis, then completely stopped posting.

The owner thought that it might be a temperature issue, but I know that gigs can take huge temperature swings (they bake in the sun at low tide in the wild) so I can only assume that they died from being split (regardless if it was forced or accidental).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D-Nak
Was it you who got a Gig that was cut by the seller/dealer. He did well for a while then died?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was me. Looks like it was almost 8 years ago. I dug up the thread on the other forum. Not sure if I can link to it or not:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2289406

It lasted about 10 months. I really did think it would survive.
Thanks for posting it. I just read through the whole thing, it really seemed like your purple one was through the woods and going to make it there. Very odd that it rotted away like that after so long. I guess if mine does split naturally I'll set my calendar for one year to know whether it has made it through or not.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of mine were obviously cut when I got them. I can’t tell today. I currently have 6.5 I don’t remember which ones I got that were cut. I posted pics on RC years ago before I gave up on that site. The pics I posted are obvious cuts, but I haven’t gotten new gigs since maybe 2016? 2017? Blue I have now is from 2013? I forget which one has gone through what.

A local guy I met at a CMAS meeting a decade ago from RC name CTVOLS (Randy) had a blue gig he dropped a rock on, accidentally cut it into 2 unequal parts and he manually finished it. He sold one a year later. I only saw pics, not in person. I don’t know how long they lasted, I talked to him a couple years after it happened he claimed the both made it. If you look him up on RC you should be able to find his story. Randy to me seemed like a credible stand up guy, I’d trust him

As for budding, I’ve seen a few buds on the underside of the skirts but they either disappear, let go and turn into power head spray skimmer food, or get re-absorbed. They appear like another anemone coming out of the column.

I can’t figure out the spawning thing. There’s something I’m missing.

Lately for me, I'm struggling just keeping levels right. I didn’t test levels for a couple months, no test kits just adding by guessing, half of them got mad and walked. One turned into soup, that’s why I have 6.5 gigs now lol. I finally got test kits last weekend and found cal at 250 and KH at 14. this just goes to show, when gigs are established, they’re bulletproof.

Back