Spone on a filter intake?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DEL 707
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DEL 707

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2024
Messages
147
Reaction score
38
Location
UK, Kent
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a sponge on the intake of my Fluval 107 canister filter.
Thought it would catch all the big stuff, meaning I could do space out the filter cleaning maintenance.

But when I take off sponge I end up with a snow globe of filth circling around my tank.
I suppose it would be handy if I have some shrimp in there to pick away at the left over food, but my tank's only been cycled for a week.

Am I better off taking off the sponge and just let it all get caught in the canister?

Prefilter sponge.jpg
 
I have a 107 running on a stock tank in my basement and it does not have a lot of flow so you may be right on it not being strong enough. I just cleaned mine a few days ago and it's pretty simple to clean so I don't really see an advantage to adding the external filter.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new