Sponge Eating Fish

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish (s) eat sponges? Or CUC that will eat them. I have lots in the display on 2 rocks with Rhodactis and palys. Some in the sump.
20220112_193008.jpg
20220112_193040.jpg
The sump is okay. But they are going to choke out some of my corals I fear. I think there are some wrasse that eat them? Can't get them until my lid from clearview arrives. I have a diy mesh but don't trust it.

Ls7corvete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's cool. I think I have more than it will eat though! Maybe an excuse to try a flame angel!
I would wait it out. I have never heard of sponges growing enough to be a nuisance. And your coral beauty is likely to take a liking to the taste of it soon. If you are successful enough at growing sponge, you would likely have a market of people willing to trade for it.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait it out. I have never heard of sponges growing enough to be a nuisance. And your coral beauty is likely to take a liking to the taste of it soon. If you are successful enough at growing sponge, you would likely have a market of people willing to trade for it.
I certainly seem to be lol's. Have it on rocks in sump as well. Not sure how I'd harvest it!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume you would just transfer a few rocks with it. That sponge growth should be a great filter for your tank.
I'm good with it as long as it doesn't choke out corals. Right now on a Paly rock and a rhodactis rock and in sump. I could only transfer rock from sump! Maybe I need to add more rock to sump lol's

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Angels eat certain sponge and not always. We are talking Full size angels suited for a very large tank.
This is ball and poriferan sponge and will likely not be eaten, You will have to either:
- Expose it to air, OR inject it via syringe with air or vinegar.

- other option to is take rock out and place in bucket of tank water and scrub away with firm toothbrush.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels eat certain sponge and not always. We are talking Full size angels suited for a very large tank.
This is ball and poriferan sponge and will likely not be eaten, You will have to either:
- Expose it to air, OR inject it via syringe with air or vinegar.

- other option to is take rock out and place in bucket of tank water and scrub away with firm toothbrush.
If it gets bad, I'll do the vinegar. Or air as the rocks will be too difficult to get out. Deep tank, short arms lol's. I'll let it go until it becomes a pest. or if it moves to the other rocks Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If it gets bad, I'll do the vinegar. Or air as the rocks will be too difficult to get out. Deep tank, short arms lol's. I'll let it go until it becomes a pest. or if it moves to the other rocks Thanks
That works . They will fold up with the vinegar within 12-24 hrs

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish (s) eat sponges? Or CUC that will eat them. I have lots in the display on 2 rocks with Rhodactis and palys. Some in the sump.
20220112_193008.jpg
20220112_193040.jpg
The sump is okay. But they are going to choke out some of my corals I fear. I think there are some wrasse that eat them? Can't get them until my lid from clearview arrives. I have a diy mesh but don't trust it.

I think those yellow ball ish sponges are silicate based. For a while I did not use DI resin and they flourished. They rapidly disappeared when I began to use DI resin. However, It appeared by blenny at the time developed a taste for them, but they have not come back since except for one tiny ball and I can't say the exact reason for their disappearance

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those yellow ball ish sponges are silicate based. For a while I did not use DI resin and they flourished. They rapidly disappeared when I began to use DI resin. However, It appeared by blenny at the time developed a taste for them, but they have not come back since except for one tiny ball and I can't say the exact reason for their disappearance
I have the DI resin RO. These sponges came from the tank I upgraded from. Maybe a blenny....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back