Sponge?

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture from my FOWLR tank. I assume what's growing on the coral skeleton is sponge? It has that consistency. I have been dosing with vinegar an vodka for about 2 years and I do get a white film on the glass, but again assume this is sponge?

Scale the white 'sponge' is approximately 5 inches at the widest point.
551.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's a sponge.

Edit: To add, the vast majority of sponges are harmless filters-feeders, but some may be invasive and/or chemically harmful to corals:
Yeah, that's definitely a sponge. Most sponges are completely harmless/beneficial, but some can be invasive and/or harmful to corals (thankfully, these are rare).

To tell if a sponge is chemically harmful: if a healthy, established coral starts closing up or looking to be in bad shape on the side closest to the sponge as the sponge grows closer to it, and nothing else has happened (lighting changes, parameter swings, pests, etc.) that could explain it, then the sponge is probably chemically harmful.

Chemically harmful sponges are very rare.

For invasive sponges: unless it shows signs of being chemically harmful or starts actively growing over and smothering a coral's flesh/polyps, it's harmless. These can grow over the skeletons of corals, around the base/stalks of corals, even up into the water column above corals (where they're over the coral but not growing on the flesh or polyps themselves), etc. without harming the coral at all - as long as the coral flesh and polyps can get food, light, and flow, the sponge is harmless.

Invasive sponges are moderately rare.

Invasive and chemically harmful sponges are incredibly rare.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is a picture from my FOWLR tank. I assume what's growing on the coral skeleton is sponge? It has that consistency. I have been dosing with vinegar an vodka for about 2 years and I do get a white film on the glass, but again assume this is sponge?

Scale the white 'sponge' is approximately 5 inches at the widest point.
551.jpg
Clatharina sponge and can be invasive potentially taking ovr a given coral

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 179 50.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.0%
Back