Sponge?

jhadaway117

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2024
Messages
81
Reaction score
42
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this growth on the top of my Zoas. I can’t find any sponges that resemble this so wanted to know what you guys thought? These pics are through an orange lense if that makes a difference.
IMG_9252.jpeg
IMG_9255.jpeg
 
The circled part below definitely looks like some type of sponge though it's hard to tell for sure.
I've seen some dark/blue/grey sponges before so it's quite possible.
IMG_9252.jpeg
 
The circled part below definitely looks like some type of sponge though it's hard to tell for sure.
I've seen some dark/blue/grey sponges before so it's quite possible.
IMG_9252.jpeg
That’s actually just part of the rock they’re on. I was talking about the stuff to the back left of it. It’s kind of like a greenish brown rubbery growth of some kind. Sorry I should have circled it.
 
That’s actually just part of the rock they’re on. I was talking about the stuff to the back left of it. It’s kind of like a greenish brown rubbery growth of some kind. Sorry I should have circled it.
I would take a photo of it under white light without the orange filter and circle the stuff in question, then post back here with that image.
 
I would take a photo of it under white light without the orange filter and circle the stuff in question, then post back here with that image.
Here’s a pic under a flashlight at night. I didn’t realize these were white until now. What do you think? IMG_9271.jpeg IMG_9270.jpeg
 
Here’s a pic under a flashlight at night. I didn’t realize these were white until now. What do you think? IMG_9271.jpeg IMG_9270.jpeg
It might be a sponge, but texturally it looks odd to me.

As has been asked, how does it feel? Is it soft/squishy or hard/solid? If so, could you scrape/cut a small portion off and look at it under a microscope?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new