Spots on thin lined puffer

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
E70EE602-AAF3-409D-B0CC-24282ACB755A.jpeg
Had company over and we were looking at the fish and my thin lined puffer has what looks like wounds on his side. He is lying on the sand fairly inactive, but I have seen this behavior before. The spots look like there is little white filament like tuffs coming out.

There is a possibility that he got poked by the red volitan lion fish. Reaching out to see what actions I should take.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this from stings or tang scalpel swipes. The blanched rings around the spots can also be a secondary bacterial infection (bacteria tends to grow organically, like in a circle) but if they showed up over a day (or less), then it is probably a reaction to an injury. I don't see any immediate treatment, just keep a close eye on it. If it wasn't for the lethargy you noticed, I would say this isn't a problem at all, but a behavior change is concerning.

Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've seen this from stings or tang scalpel swipes. The blanched rings around the spots can also be a secondary bacterial infection (bacteria tends to grow organically, like in a circle) but if they showed up over a day (or less), then it is probably a reaction to an injury. I don't see any immediate treatment, just keep a close eye on it. If it wasn't for the lethargy you noticed, I would say this isn't a problem at all, but a behavior change is concerning.

Jay
Thank you. As I said I saw him doing the same thing a couple days ago but he didn’t have the wounds last night at feeding. I just treated with Flux RX to try to eliminate some stubborn briopsis. And started dosing Phosphate E from brightwell. I am currently aerating with two large stones in the DT.
His breathing looks normal.
I’ll watch him and respond if there are any changes.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Jay
So the puffer stayed in the same spot all night. I even moved him once with a net and he just stayed on the bottom, but did move, I was concerned he looked partially paralyzed.
Today he is still staying in that same area under the FX6 intake, but he has swam around the tank at least twice and then returned to the same spot.
The rings appear to have enlarged a small amount since first noticed. If it is a secondary infection, will metroplex soaked food be of any benefit? Or any other suggestions besides observation?

Attachments

• A9BD0BF9-944A-4A27-8DA4-20A654BE6C2D.jpeg
    A9BD0BF9-944A-4A27-8DA4-20A654BE6C2D.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new spots though?

Metronidazole is only effective against a few bacteria. Since the lesions are external, an antibiotic bath is better than an oral medication. Do you have a treatment tank? If so, I would try a good broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. If you don’t, you could try three hour dips in a heated/aerated bucket with double dose antibiotic once a day for five days.
Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No new spots though?

Metronidazole is only effective against a few bacteria. Since the lesions are external, an antibiotic bath is better than an oral medication. Do you have a treatment tank? If so, I would try a good broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. If you don’t, you could try three hour dips in a heated/aerated bucket with double dose antibiotic once a day for five days.
Jay
No new spots. Only the rings around what I think are wounds.
What I have on hand is Kanaplex, metroplex, and paraguard (just got copper power per your recommendation for parasites) would either of the three be good?

I have a 20g that was established and has been running with macro Algea out of my sump that I’m treating with flux RX. Not sure if it will handle his load. I have prime and stability on hand, and could return him to DT as just do the dips if ammonia spikes.

I also have a sunset wrasse that had flukes when I got him. I treated with a fresh water dip a couple times. This was months ago. I noticed him flashing on the sand, should I use one of the meds above? And dip vs moving into a hospital tank?

thanks
Kent

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new spots. Only the rings around what I think are wounds.
What I have on hand is Kanaplex, metroplex, and paraguard (just got copper power per your recommendation for parasites) would either of the three be good?

I have a 20g that was established and has been running with macro Algea out of my sump that I’m treating with flux RX. Not sure if it will handle his load. I have prime and stability on hand, and could return him to DT as just do the dips if ammonia spikes.

I also have a sunset wrasse that had flukes when I got him. I treated with a fresh water dip a couple times. This was months ago. I noticed him flashing on the sand, should I use one of the meds above? And dip vs moving into a hospital tank?

thanks
Kent
Kanaplex would be what you should use.

Regarding the flukes, dipping only buys some time, as the fish will just get reinfected when you put the back in the tank. A whole tank treatment with prazipro is a better option - dose it with good aeration, twice, 8 days apart.
Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Regarding the flukes, dipping only buys some time, as the fish will just get reinfected when you put the back in the tank. A whole tank treatment with prazipro is a better option - dose it with goidbaeration, twice, 8 days apart.
Jay
Does this mean to treat my entire display?

160g Red Sea XXL750 I estimate about 160g water volume. It says reef safe, I have GSP and two soft corals in tank. Also treated with flux RX for briopsis that I haven’t been able to eradicate. Hoping with the lower nutrients from dosing that if I get rid of it the scrubber and refugium will out perform it and it won’t return.
Is it ok to use the prazipro when it arrives or do I wait for the water change after the 14 day flux treatment? And use it in DT to make sure no one else gets them? Are they like ich and velvet where they hang around?
Other fish thin lined puffer, porcupine puffer, marbles cat shark, panther grouper and clown grouper. Is this safe for all these?

The directions only warn about bristle worms etc.
thanks
Kent

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean to treat my entire display?

160g Red Sea XXL750 I estimate about 160g water volume. It says reef safe, I have GSP and two soft corals in tank. Also treated with flux RX for briopsis that I haven’t been able to eradicate. Hoping with the lower nutrients from dosing that if I get rid of it the scrubber and refugium will out perform it and it won’t return.
Is it ok to use the prazipro when it arrives or do I wait for the water change after the 14 day flux treatment? And use it in DT to make sure no one else gets them? Are they like ich and velvet where they hang around?
Other fish thin lined puffer, porcupine puffer, marbles cat shark, panther grouper and clown grouper. Is this safe for all these?

The directions only warn about bristle worms etc.
thanks
Kent

Yes - Prazipro is typically reef safe, it usually doesn't even kill bristle worms. You treat the DT 2x, 8 days apart to help ensure any fluke eggs hatch out and are killed before they can reproduce. The trouble is, I don't know if it reacts with Flux Rx.

Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No new spots though?

Jay
Day five of treatment completed. Puffer much more active now and the wounds appear to be healing. Thank you so much for the direction. He still has these two white spots on him. Could it be infection, and if so should I continue nightly 3 hour dips or sit back and observe.
It doesn’t appear to be stressing him too much, but don’t want to over medicate.

Attachments

• E10094BF-2946-41AC-A469-37C458EE7B6D.jpeg
    E10094BF-2946-41AC-A469-37C458EE7B6D.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes - Prazipro is typically reef safe, it usually doesn't even kill bristle worms. You treat the DT 2x, 8 days apart to help ensure any fluke eggs hatch out and are killed before they can reproduce. The trouble is, I don't know if it reacts with Flux Rx.

Jay
I’m not sure if you saw the question part of my post. Do you think the white spots are a sign of healing or still an infection? Should I continue to treat him?
Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if you saw the question part of my post. Do you think the white spots are a sign of healing or still an infection? Should I continue to treat him?
Thanks.
It seems to be healing. I’d stop treatment and just observe for now. If it backslides, you’ll want to retreat right away though.
Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Regarding the flukes, dipping only buys some time, as the fish will just get reinfected when you put the back in the tank. A whole tank treatment with prazipro is a better option - dose it with good aeration, twice, 8 days apart.
Jay
Jay,
I completed my flux RX treatment and did a water change, so now I have treated with Prazipro first time. Directions say to stop skimmer, carbon, and UV. Is this for the entire 7 day treatment? I know I am supposed to retreat in 8 days. Just wanting to know if I should run skimmer or UV at any time during these 14 days.
Thanks
Kent

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,
I completed my flux RX treatment and did a water change, so now I have treated with Prazipro first time. Directions say to stop skimmer, carbon, and UV. Is this for the entire 7 day treatment? I know I am supposed to retreat in 8 days. Just wanting to know if I should run skimmer or UV at any time during these 14 days.
Thanks
Kent

Their instructions are a bit off - stop carbon and UV, but still run the skimmer (for aeration) just allow all the skimmate to return to the tank for the first 36 hours after treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It seems to be healing. I’d stop treatment and just observe for now. If it backslides, you’ll want to retreat right away though.
Jay
All but the two white spots look pretty good, but the white spots seem to be protruding, not unlike a scab? Is this a sign of infection, and if so should I treat with kanaplex again? Also I treated with prazipro on Tuesday so retreating on Wednesday, thinking tank looks like it might have a bloom. Is it ok to do a water change today, or better to wait until Tuesday night before I treat Wednesday morning?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All but the two white spots look pretty good, but the white spots seem to be protruding, not unlike a scab? Is this a sign of infection, and if so should I treat with kanaplex again? Also I treated with prazipro on Tuesday so retreating on Wednesday, thinking tank looks like it might have a bloom. Is it ok to do a water change today, or better to wait until Tuesday night before I treat Wednesday morning?
If the tank is cloudy, I would aerate it well and do a water change, the prazi will have broken down by now any way.
Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Forgot picture.

Attachments

• B661461A-289A-40AB-A88D-65D3891A302C.jpeg
    B661461A-289A-40AB-A88D-65D3891A302C.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 26

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot picture.
Those spots aren’t likely flukes and too large to be ich. May be mucus plugs or limited bacterial infection that will likely go away on their own.
Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, I was worried about infection as this is the puffer that was stung. Don’t see the wrasse flashing any more, but will still do second prazipro as you directed in case of eggs. I’ll continue to watch puffer, I don’t think the white spots have gotten bigger around but maybe slightly thicker. Mucus plug may make sense as it kind of looks like a scab.

Thank you.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for all the help. Yesterday I treated the second dose of prazipro, 8 days after the initial. I did a 40 gallon water change 25% approx prior to treating. Turned off skimmer over night, it is now running again.

My Ph is low, around 7.91-7.59, and ORP 279-304 as per apex. Barring an emergency situation, how long should I wait to do another water change.

I have some pinkish white slimy stuff forming in the tank. Been battling it, think it might be from a Cespitularia that I put in because it was overwhelming my reef. My nitrates were way to high and it “melted”. As my nitrates came down, it appears to be growing on the rock I brought it in on, but I’m wondering if this is somehow trying to grow in lots of places? I took out my Reefmat and had to take it outside and hose it off. Looks as if I need to do that to the skimmer as it seems to be growing in there as well.

Pink pic is on a separator in my fuge.

Thanks.

Attachments

• AF5A7DAF-7FB9-4473-9575-677F0398BE16.jpeg
    AF5A7DAF-7FB9-4473-9575-677F0398BE16.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 489C1A5C-B608-45D4-B79E-02D4232C61E8.jpeg
    489C1A5C-B608-45D4-B79E-02D4232C61E8.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 7691389C-2084-4A62-9C7C-8712D3AA1552.jpeg
    7691389C-2084-4A62-9C7C-8712D3AA1552.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 26

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back