Spotted Mandarin Synchiropus picturatus

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC00294.jpg

Spotted Mandarin or Synchiropus picturatus is a very common aquarium fish which will spawn in the aquarium with very little effort. They are native to the western pacific along with many of our marine aquarium species. Their natural diet is copepods and other small crustations found in live rock and live sand. Even aquaculture specimens will benefit form copepod feedings.

Sexing and paring
Spotted mandarins are rather easy to sex. The males have an elongated first dorsal spine where the females do not. Care should be taken when selecting males and females due to the fact that this spine can be damaged, and a male may appear to be a female. Two males will not tolerate each other and will fight constantly in the aquarium. Paring must also be taken with great care. Females should be smaller than males but not by too much. If the female is larger than the male she may chase off the smaller male. If the female is too small the male will reject or ignore the female.
DSC00307.jpg

( Notice the round belly. This is a gravid female)

Spawning
In my experience getting them to spawn is not a problem with appropriately sized specimens. The male will court the female by displaying his fins in front of her. If the female accepts him she will rise to the surface of the tank with their anile fish aligned. They will do this a few times with it culminating in a spawn. If successful the eggs will have been fertilized and float to the surface of the aquarium for collection.

Egg Collection.
I’ve always collected the eggs with a small bottle with all flow turned off. That means return pump, powerheads, and anything that will ripple the surface. I often turn it all off once I notice courtship behavior. I usually collect a 100 to 150 eggs. If there are other fish in the tank they will begin to eat the eggs during collection.
Collected eggs
DSC00291.jpg

Larval rearing
The larval stage of this species is anywhere from a week to 12 days. A rather quick species in the larval rearing stage. I highly recommend this species to get your feet wet when it comes to pelagic spawning. It is recommended to feed them the nauplii of Parvocalanus crassirostris but I have been successful with the more easily cultured Apocycyclops panimensis. Food densities should be around 10 food items per ml, I have also added rotifers to supplement feeding, but not the sole food, and daily water changes to keep the bottom clean. I have also found that keeping adult copepods in the larval tank a good way to keep food in the tank, however, it will not keep the density to the desired levels.
day 3 spotted manderin.JPG

(3 day old larvae)
day 6 spotted manderin (2).JPG

(6 day old )
Settlement
The larva have settled once you see the golden young hopping on the bottom. They will return to the water column to feed on the free swimming copepods. At this time it is recommended to begin feeding Tisbe copepods. Tisbe is a benthic copepod that the young will feed on using little energy. It is also advised to feed small pellets. I started off with TDO A by Reed Mariculture. at this time, it is even more important to keep the bottom as clean as possible. Within a few weeks they will begin to change from hopping golden nuggets to their adult coloration. At this stage it is a good idea to add a seasoned sponge filter. Once settled they are slow to grow.

Conclusion
This species along with the green/ red Mandarin (remarkably similar in rearing and behavior) are great species to start with when it comes to pelagic spawners.

I've surched for pictures, but most are not being accepted to the site. The only one I can upload is the three day old larvae pic.

Last edited:

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of green mandarins and would definitely want to give them a try.

What kind of tank (size & shape) are you using and what agitation/flow? I found that some species need particular flow conditions and therefore do better in customized tank shapes.

Another issue I'm having right now is how to culture Apocyclops and Tisbe quickly in sufficient quantities to feed a couple of thousand Marine Betta larvae. Any tips on that?

OP
OP
Surfzone

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of green mandarins and would definitely want to give them a try.

What kind of tank (size & shape) are you using and what agitation/flow? I found that some species need particular flow conditions and therefore do better in customized tank shapes.

Another issue I'm having right now is how to culture Apocyclops and Tisbe quickly in sufficient quantities to feed a couple of thousand Marine Betta larvae. Any tips on that?

For size of tank i used a 60 gallon cube. This size seems large enough to support two mandarins as far as flow it was an sps reef tank, but I turned off the flow when I noticed courtship behavior. When it comes to your Copepod situation I don't have much more to offer other than make more cultures, or use a larger culture vessel. Maybe @Reef Nutrition will have a better idea of how to ramp up your copepod production.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually referring to the larva rearing tank. What are you using there?

nano-mex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barely getting back in to the hobby and doing research again.... there are plenty of great write ups!!

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great write up. I'm currently working on ruby reds and trying to condition and very poor health female mandarin. I love the dragonet family and would love to be a regular producer of those.

Thanks for the clear instructions.

Kathly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great write up and holds true with my experiences breeding S. picturatus. It is so surprising when they settle, I may have missed my first couple of attempts, because I didn't expect them to settle so soon.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any significant difference to the green Mandarinfish (Synchiropus splendidus) in larvae development?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back