SPS Acro Burrowing Worm

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I received 4 acro colonies last week and I've had to frag 3 colonies down into smaller sizes due to STN and acro burrowing worms (not red flatworms).

These top two photos show the eventual die off of the skin and where tentacles from the worms extend to feed (neither of these pieces are in my QT. The bottom piece though is in my QT and is slowly showing signs of these little buggers. Wondering if I've ID'd them correctly and if there is a remedy to my issue. I'd dipped and snipped all that I can... now wondering if there is a natural or medical remedy.
Acroworm2.jpg

Acroworms.jpg

IMG-2276.JPG

IMG-2273.JPG

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try dr.Gs LPS SPS dip, that stuff is nasty kills just about everything (worms, bugs, etc)
Gonna read up on this stuff... 6hr dip? Is that true?

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worm lives inside the coral not on the outside... not sure that dip will do the trick. I ordered it so I'm going to give it a try.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up fragging off the dead parts of the SPS into smaller pieces. Of all the colonies I got from the “whole seller” only two pieces survived and they are nothing extraordinary, which is sad since the pictures I got were pretty nice. In the future I’m only getting aquacultured SPS pieces from good sources.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yeah, well.. looks like I have the same problem. I went to Vivid aquariums and picked up my first frag for my tank, I was monitoring the frag for some time, and noticed the polyp extensions, and saw that one polyp is not right, so I did some closer monitoring and watched that polyp moving without current, then I knew that it was not PE, I actually knew this was not normal since day one because tenuis sps have similar PE as this worm, but not the green slimmer.. going to call them up and see how to treat this or find out what their policy against infested coral is.
InkedIMG_3459_LI.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, well.. looks like I have the same problem. I went to Vivid aquariums and picked up my first frag for my tank, I was monitoring the frag for some time, and noticed the polyp extensions, and saw that one polyp is not right, so I did some closer monitoring and watched that polyp moving without current, then I knew that it was not PE, I actually knew this was not normal since day one because tenuis sps have similar PE as this worm, but not the green slimmer.. going to call them up and see how to treat this or find out what their policy against infested coral is.
InkedIMG_3459_LI.jpg
Unfortunately this worm burrows to the center of the acro, it looks like a vein when you cut it. The only way we found to get rid of it was by cutting off the infected piece. The good news/bad news is that it’ll stay isolated until the acro dies. Here are the things we tried:
  1. Coral RX
  2. Flatworm Exit
  3. Lugols
  4. Polylabs Reef primer
After cutting the infected areas we were able to get the worms out but the corals ended up dying :(. The whole experience has led us to only buying aquacultured corals we avoid wild/maricultured corals... I’d contact vivid and have them replace the piece for you. Let us know how that interaction goes. I’m really interested to see if they set things right for you.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately this worm burrows to the center of the acro, it looks like a vein when you cut it. The only way we found to get rid of it was by cutting off the infected piece. The good news/bad news is that it’ll stay isolated until the acro dies. Here are the things we tried:
  1. Coral RX
  2. Flatworm Exit
  3. Lugols
  4. Polylabs Reef primer
After cutting the infected areas we were able to get the worms out but the corals ended up dying :(. The whole experience has led us to only buying aquacultured corals we avoid wild/maricultured corals... I’d contact vivid and have them replace the piece for you. Let us know how that interaction goes. I’m really interested to see if they set things right for you.
I contacted them and they said to send them an email, and they will respond, I did; and they responded... I should also mention that i've been shopping there since 2006, they manager "James" said that its a common worm, and that it will go away; if Im unhappy, to bring it in and trade out for another one.... this is kind of sketch, knowing that I got a unwanted pest on a coral.... what are the chances that another frag may have the same problem pest..... ???

I will return it tomorrow and keep you posted!

Have a great FRIDAY NIGHT!!!

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ended up fragging off the dead parts of the SPS into smaller pieces. Of all the colonies I got from the “whole seller” only two pieces survived and they are nothing extraordinary, which is sad since the pictures I got were pretty nice. In the future I’m only getting aquacultured SPS pieces from good sources.
someone actually mentioned gel gluing the area where the worm is inside of.... not sure if that will work or make it worse. doesnt sound like a bad idea.... but Im returning that for sure...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone actually mentioned gel gluing the area where the worm is inside of.... not sure if that will work or make it worse. doesnt sound like a bad idea.... but Im returning that for sure...

I had this worm before. Glue did not work... it just burrowed a new hole out the side. I cut it out and that fixed it.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  1. Coral RX
  2. Flatworm Exit
  3. Lugols
  4. Polylabs Reef primer
After emailing vivid, I got a reply from the manager, who is a nice guy and helpful;; he said that this worm is a filter feeder and that its normal and wont harm the coral, but i can bring it back for another frag if i want,,, well I know what i don't want, and that is a worm digging into my coral...

it may be a normal thing in the wild, but as reefers; we are trying to build the reef to our own liking and imagination... store managers have seen all the problems that come in this hobby/trade, so its all normal to him, and is acceptable....

He may be right, if he can identify what species he's talking about, but he couldn't, he said that they are harmless and that the coral will eventually grow over it... I don't know about that,,, the pictures and evidence say otherwise..

I will monitor this new frag i got and hopefully this one will not have issues.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it alone. I had a barnacle in this colony (acro on top of the pocillapora)
47E75524-28BA-46E9-A95D-034FAC55F544.jpeg
when I first got it and I loved it. It eventually died and the colony just grew tissue over the little hole and that was that. You’re going to kill the frags trying to "cure” them.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Leave it alone. I had a barnacle in this colony (acro on top of the pocillapora)
47E75524-28BA-46E9-A95D-034FAC55F544.jpeg
when I first got it and I loved it. It eventually died and the colony just grew tissue over the little hole and that was that. You’re going to kill the frags trying to "cure” them.
I agree, frags already went through shock being cut off, then recovering, and growing, to be bothered by interfering with it again.... too much ... I guess if it will thrive it will grow over it, I was not willing to take that chance as I have no experience dealing with this type of thing..

But Im learning and am able to understand why these things happen..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back