Rodent's of unusual size ... I don' think they exist.

blue-thumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for five years. I have been able to achieve good growth and color from both soft and hard corals (lps & sps). I was feeling pretty good about myself. Maybe a little cocky. I have never had a significant aquarium pest. I had aptasia and bristle worms. I researched the life cycle of these organisms. I found good natural solutions for each pest. I've always dipped my new acquisitions and removed them from their plug. I do not typically buy a lot of new stock.

Last winter I upgraded to a new 340 gallon tank. I was pumped. I wanted to grow sticks. I have always been blown away by the reef spotlights. Tanks overflowing with color. I thought ... I might even be able to sell a few 1/2 inch frags to help pay for my addiction. I had a few large acropora colonies with good color. I decided to fill in the bare areas of my tank with some new specimens. I got out the credit card and bought several new acropora corals from two very highly regarded vendors. I got two frags from one vendor and 10 from the other. I have never had a nasty pest in my tank. Since I was purchasing from two reliable vendors, quarantine wouldn't be necessary. Right?

I am a skeptic and a bit of a pessimist. I typically make decisions logically. I am not very trusting. For some reason, I decided to take a short cut. WRONG! About three weeks after introducing these new corals directly to my tank, my largest acro colony lost it's color and polyp extension. I had a recent alk swing ... I thought that this was the culprit. Of the twelve frags I purchased, I lost two. That's not typical for me. Shortly thereafter, I took my baster and blasted the colony and it started to rain small potato chips. At that moment, I shouted foul language so loud that I could be heard in Antarctica.

I took me more than one year to grow my beautiful acro colony. On a daily basis, I have watched these little jerks (acro eating flat worms) devour my colony. I have found them on every acro in my tank. Their eggs are large enough to be seen with my naked eye. I dipped my colony and it rained little potato chips. I am a physician. I have dewormed people. Typically, you treat the person. Wait for the eggs to hatch. Treat again and your done.

An aquarium isn't as simple. First, the organism has a 30 life cycle. They only eat acros. Remove the acros from the tank for 30 days and all the little turds in the main tank should starve to death. Right? What do I do with the Acros? Put them in a quarantine tank during that 30 day period and treat them with a drug for 30 days. As the worms hatch they die. BUT .... I don't have a mature quarantine tank. Ut OH!

So what did I learn. It's not the vendors fault. If you don't quarantine then this will happen to you.

Last edited:

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sorry to hear about your prized colony. It must be devastating and I can empathize.
Just know you are not alone as most will experience exactly like you described. Its easy to become complacent only to regret later on. Some lessons must be learned the hard way.

How are you treating your tank after the fact?

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, learning the hard way is no fun, good news is, it’s not for ever and curable.

It’s not too late to set up a qt system. Things may get a little ugly until they get better.

I had them and monti nudi’s that I didn’t even know I had until the corals made it into another system. The wrasses kept them in check. I ended up with a 60 gallon frag tank with a 40 gallon frag tank underneath. Took three months or so to eradicate the AEFW. I tried battling the nudi’s but lost. Tossed almost all of the monti except pieces that I could clean and visually inspect. Different story…

Cut all corals off rack and put on egg crate shelves. Set up qt system then transferred everything over. After doing new floors, building new stand, painting blah blah blah. Reset and cycled tank. Picks were two years apart. Will go slot quicker if ya leave house as it is lol

Anyway that’s my hope and some encouragement
12961121113_ef5f0449b7_o.jpg 12961095553_7610ca893a_o.jpg
23859122230_c6c0443ac4_o 2.jpg

OP
OP
blue-thumb

blue-thumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your prized colony. It must be devastating and I can empathize.
Just know you are not alone as most will experience exactly like you described. Its easy to become complacent only to regret later on. Some lessons must be learned the hard way.

Thanks for your kindness. Couldn't agree more. This hobby is really a labor of love. It feels good to nurture something and watch it grow. Hopefully, I'll regrow that colony.

OP
OP
blue-thumb

blue-thumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, learning the hard way is no fun, good news is, it’s not for ever and curable.

It’s not too late to set up a qt system. Things may get a little ugly until they get better.

I had them and monti nudi’s that I didn’t even know I had until the corals made it into another system. The wrasses kept them in check. I ended up with a 60 gallon frag tank with a 40 gallon frag tank underneath. Took three months or so to eradicate the AEFW. I tried battling the nudi’s but lost. Tossed almost all of the monti except pieces that I could clean and visually inspect. Different story…

Cut all corals off rack and put on egg crate shelves. Set up qt system then transferred everything over. After doing new floors, building new stand, painting blah blah blah. Reset and cycled tank. Picks were two years apart. Will go slot quicker if ya leave house as it is lol

Anyway that’s my hope and some encouragement
12961121113_ef5f0449b7_o.jpg 12961095553_7610ca893a_o.jpg
23859122230_c6c0443ac4_o 2.jpg
Good to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I appreciate your kindness.

OP
OP
blue-thumb

blue-thumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Complacency is definitely the right word. There are no safe short cuts. I got away with poor procedures for a long time. My softies are doing well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back