SPS always dying

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i guess you recommend this ICP test? Which elements were out of whack and how did you manage to change it? any specific products?

I was using a general trace element booster. I saw an improvement in my tank when I began using it, hooray....

First ICP test showed the following elements very very low: bromine, flouride, iodine
The following elements were very high (in fact, not all of them are back within normal ranges to this day, but they've dropped significantly since September of last year): strontium, barium, molybdenum

I ended up discontinuing the other booster and changing to the moonshiner method simply because I can literally dose ONLY what my tank needs in terms of trace elements, instead of using an all in one that isn't being used evenly.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My schedule is based off Saxby's signature. I modified it a bit. currently 10am-10pm with majority of the time being ramp up/down.

Mine have just started to take on algea... looks like Diatoms??
Saxby isn’t designed for the newer models. I’m betting your light is way too low. I have 2-52 HD’s over my 50g cube, 2-26 HD’s over a 29g bio cube and 1 prime 16 over a 5G frag holding tank,,,,,,and a par meter. You should use the new brs recommended settings for the 32s. Basically max out blues, uv, v, set red and green to 10 and whites at 40-60 depending on what looks good to your eyes. All of this 8-9 hours.

How high are your hydras mounted

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saxby isn’t designed for the newer models. I’m betting your light is way too low. I have 2-52 HD’s over my 50g cube, 2-26 HD’s over a 29g bio cube and 1 prime 16 over a 5G frag holding tank,,,,,,and a par meter. You should use the new brs recommended settings for the 32s. Basically max out blues, uv, v, set red and green to 10 and whites at 40-60 depending on what looks good to your eyes. All of this 8-9 hours.

How high are your hydras mounted
Any chance you can link a video/post with the schedule so I can see it?

Are you running the brs method?

Hydras are approx 10 inches from the water

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a general trace element booster. I saw an improvement in my tank when I began using it, hooray....

First ICP test showed the following elements very very low: bromine, flouride, iodine
The following elements were very high (in fact, not all of them are back within normal ranges to this day, but they've dropped significantly since September of last year): strontium, barium, molybdenum

I ended up discontinuing the other booster and changing to the moonshiner method simply because I can literally dose ONLY what my tank needs in terms of trace elements, instead of using an all in one that isn't being used evenly.

Is ICP for USA only? I think I read something about shipping only USA wide...?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can link a video/post with the schedule so I can see it?

Are you running the brs method?

Hydras are approx 10 inches from the water
I am on my prime 16 hd
B97EEEF7-A20E-479D-9238-F146EB9C7EEA.png
0650462F-7FBA-476F-8EB4-348CBBCF3D29.jpeg
93023391-F838-4837-BE8F-277CA71216F2.jpeg
711511EB-3C19-4D73-B7E7-7F123E88AD92.jpeg

I used the pinch method to reduce the power to deliver 300 par to the frag rack

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t give you an immediate answer for nitrate. I’m going to grab a Hanna nitrate kit (unless there’s a better kit) to test tonight.

Par has not been checked and I’ve also looked into renting one.

1 cup for 190G??? How did you determine that amount? My tank isn’t nearly that size. Maybe I’m using too much? Would too much have an impact on corals?
Btw
Yes too much Rox carbon will harm your sps corals

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alongside lighting, water parameters, I would suggest also adjusting your flow. Ramp it up and make sure the flow is turbulent. Based on my experience, my sps generally take off once i get my flow right. I’m on the Flow>Light camp.

Also as I am sure everyone familiar with SPS would say, stability stability stability. Make sure your params, temp and lighting intensity are consistent. If anything is off, gradual adjustments.

My personal favorite tester SPS corals, basically to test and see if my tank is ready for sps are Pocillopira, Porites and Monti digis (forest fire for example). Just a word of caution some may discourage Pocis since they have a tendency to spread out of control once they have settled.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kkp I never answered one of your questions. Yes, adding live rock as a seed does have value certainly. The more you have the better IMO. It can still take some time though.

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: went and bought a $10 monti last week.....

Can see it starting to bleach.

I recently rented a PAR Meter and made sure the top of my rocks were 200+ PAR.
Is it possible my lights are too strong and bleaching it?

Attachments

• 8471D217-B41C-4251-AA23-7479975750BB.jpeg
    8471D217-B41C-4251-AA23-7479975750BB.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 40

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: went and bought a $10 monti last week.....

Can see it starting to bleach.

I recently rented a PAR Meter and made sure the top of my rocks were 200+ PAR.
Is it possible my lights are too strong and bleaching it?
No, 200 PAR is not nearly enough to bleach a monti -- unless it was previously in the shade or something.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things:
a) You should be showing some coralline algae about now. I think you should send out for an ICP. Triton or ATI.
b) Nitrate test. Cannot recommend Hanna for that. NYOS is good. Hanna for PO4
c) Not enough PAR for most SPS. Top of the rocks should see 300+ to 500.
d) Flow again?

OP
OP
K

kkp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things:
a) You should be showing some coralline algae about now. I think you should send out for an ICP. Triton or ATI.
b) Nitrate test. Cannot recommend Hanna for that. NYOS is good. Hanna for PO4
c) Not enough PAR for most SPS. Top of the rocks should see 300+ to 500.
d) Flow again?
- Any recommendations for ICP tests in Canada?
- Last nitrate test was done with Hanna. I forgot to dilute it so it showed @5.0. I’ll get a more diluted exact # soon.
- My PO4 is at 0.03.

I don’t see any coral one algae which is frustrating but my corals are bleaching. Isn’t that due to too much light??? Or would they brown?

For flow I have 2 Red Sea 25 reef waves on either side of the tank. I’m looking to add more soon.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Any recommendations for ICP tests in Canada?
- Last nitrate test was done with Hanna. I forgot to dilute it so it showed @5.0. I’ll get a more diluted exact # soon.
- My PO4 is at 0.03.

I don’t see any coral one algae which is frustrating but my corals are bleaching. Isn’t that due to too much light??? Or would they brown?

For flow I have 2 Red Sea 25 reef waves on either side of the tank. I’m looking to add more soon.
I am unfamiliar with import/export restrictions in Canada, sorry. Triton, ATI are great brands to look for in ICP.

200 PAR should not bleach any SPS. It is something else. Possibly nutrient deficiency. Do you have any algae on your rock or glass?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "live rock", was it actual ocean rock, or rock in a vat of water at the LFS?

These things mean very different things to the biology of your tank. Now a days people call live rock, dead rock sitting in a vat of water at the LFS. While this technically is live rock, it has no other diverse bacteria then the bacteria for cycling. It also has no other life forms on it.

Actual ocean rock will be full of diverse bacteria and microfauna from the ocean. There is no other replacement for it. IMO

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
i believe that all recommendations done are valuable... but in my personal opinion, I wouldn’t take any decision before having an ICP test. Best, cheapest and easiest solution.

This colleague is from Canada as well.

It is not complex to make an sps survive for a few months... something is really off.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on NO3 and PO4 measures?

Also, what is your fish & bioload like? If you have a ton of fish and feed often/alot, it is important that you have measurable residuals of both nutrients.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back