SPS and what you keep your alk at and why

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well like the title says what do you keep your alk at if you keep SPS..Also is there a benefit to keeping the alk lets say above 10dkh to 12dkh and if you do keep it that high why what if any benefits are there from keeping the alk higer than normal? If your running a ULNS type setup should it be high or low?
Any intel is appreciated..

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 7 dKH. that's the same as NSW. it's also ideal to keep alk at 7 dKH with carbon dosing to keep SPS happy, which I'm doing with Vinegar. More importantly you just need to keep your alk as stable as possible, no matter which number you choose.

MyNameIs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 8dkh. My SPS have been doing great. I know people who run higher DKH as I am sure some do in this forum they can fill you in with how they do. I do recommend maintaining your magnesium levels as well, it helps your ALK and Calcium stay more stable. I have noticed in my tank my corals brown out a bit at the lower 7's so I like to keep it between 8-9 and they maintain great color and growth.

Alk : 8dkh
Calcium : 450
Magnesium : 1400

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 7.5 dkh cause I'm a carbon doser. Too high and you get burnt tips. At 12 I'd imagine my calcium would balance out a bit lower than I shoot for.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 7-10 is ideal. I know some swear by 10+, and there is even a salt mix (red sea) that has an alk of 12-13, but I've run into problems with alk over 9 while running lower nutrient tanks. Like posted above NSW has an alk of 7 but I try to keep mine around 8-9 dkh so I have a little room for error.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ULNS need to have a low ALk due to the Tip burning with Zeo/Carbon dosing at higher alk. I personally, when I was heavy into SPS I used a carbon source and kept it at 7.5...

On a side note I would find a good salt for what you want to do, with ULNS TMP is very popular due to the low ALK or another if you can have what ever parameters you want but stick to one salt. I think the worst thing a person can do it try and chase parameters, looking at some one else's tank seeing there success and striving for there parameters. I feel that causes so many issues stay to what your Salts parameters are and stay with that because that means if you dont every WC you do you have to get that WC water dialed into your tank and if its off it can cause issues.

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ULNS need to have a low ALk due to the Tip burning with Zeo/Carbon dosing at higher alk. I personally, when I was heavy into SPS I used a carbon source and kept it at 7.5...

On a side note I would find a good salt for what you want to do, with ULNS TMP is very popular due to the low ALK or another if you can have what ever parameters you want but stick to one salt. I think the worst thing a person can do it try and chase parameters, looking at some one else's tank seeing there success and striving for there parameters. I feel that causes so many issues stay to what your Salts parameters are and stay with that because that means if you dont every WC you do you have to get that WC water dialed into your tank and if its off it can cause issues.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything said in this post. It makes so much more sense to not chase parameters. That being said, at different times I've run the gamut between 7 and 12 at different times with SPS and haven't seen significant advantages to higher KH. Now I try to keep mine stable between 7.5-8 KH. I get great growth rates with this and Ca @ 440, Mg @ 1420-1450

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot to add I personally liked TMP used it for 4-6 years on my ULN system and a carbon dosing systen. I am currently using BW and loving it.

OP
OP
RogerWilco357

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of changing my salt to a lower alk from Red sea Pro , also thinking of going Zeo so might have to anyway now the tmp you mix yourself salt and then you add the mag and alk and ca.? to users specs so to speak?
what about e.s.v b-ionic salt? that is pricey but is it worth it?

Last edited:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of changing my salt to a lower alk from Red sea Pro , also thinking of going Zeo so might have to anyway now the tmp you mix yourself salt and then you add the mag and alk and ca.? to users specs so to speak?
what about e.s.v b-ionic salt? that is pricey but is it worth it?

Nope TMP is just like all other salts and is roughly 75 a bucket. The wet salt you are referring to is there newer line.

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running my Alk between 11-12dkh. Reason being is because I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro and tend to do one large water change a months vs smaller weekly water changes. Therefore I try to match my Alk to that of the synthetic salt as close as possible. I would never risk running my Alk at around 9dkh and then do a 50% water change with a synthetic salt that has a 12.2 dkh.

If running a ULNS, I totally agree with the posts mentioned above. Change your synthetic salt to one with a much lower dkh and maintain the tanks Alk around 7.5-8dkh.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strive to keep mine between 8-9.3. I'm running an old school barebottom, Berlin type system and use Reef Crystals. Much higher alk tends to cause my SPS to bleach from the bottom up; not sure why. But just using the old eyeball test, this range seems to be where they generally look and grow their best. That's good enough for me.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine has been at 8.5 for the last few months but I just changed the media in my reactor and it is now at 9.9. I am letting it fall back to the previous range to avoid burnt tips as I am running Ecobak. havent seen any ill effects in the range I am at now but its only been a week since I did the change.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot for around 8. I use red sea regular salt mixes at the params I like and that's really all that matters in salts these days.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%

Back