OP
O

oowtfmang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, what what your dosing like up through and after the move? I ask because I just noticed the high number of stony frags in the system from the "before" photos. A healthy load like that is bound to make a big impression on alkalinity once they become established. (One reason I don't favor lower alk numbers like yours - not enough "extra" or safety in the system to cover events like this...and others...IMO.)

-Matt

My dosing was done with a doser and I kept it online and running right before the tank move and right after the tank move. Of course there was a slight fluctuation in ALK when the tank moved but I continued dosing right away, so it couldn't have gone too low. One thing that is interesting is that my dosing had to be upped from about 24ml/day to about 34 ml/day over the span of the first month because the old amount wasn't keeping up. I find it hard to believe that the corals were taking up that much alkalinity in their stressed state of browning and bleaching so I'm assuming that lots of precipitation was occuring and taken out by the skimmer.

EcoFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sort of asked how big is the universe and gave us a piece of string to figure it out lol but luckily you have the best stringists (?) around...maybe seamstresses is better than stringists lol

OP
OP
O

oowtfmang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you sort of asked how big is the universe and gave us a piece of string to figure it out lol but luckily you have the best stringists (?) around...maybe seamstresses is better than stringists lol

How else do you suppose to solve this issue? I'm giving as much detail and information as possible.

OP
OP
O

oowtfmang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of corals have RTN'd.. including birdsnest and acropora. I don't understand what's wrong. I added a polyfilter today, hopefully it helps.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly raise Alk by a point and get you water tested for ammonia (free or cheap at abt any LFS) just on principle at this point. Calibrate your refractometer (RODI or even tap water will get you very close to zero) and make sure salinity is what you think. Review your plumbing to make sure no metal parts were used and/or no saltwater is touching them/anything else metal via spray or drips.

You may want to consider a very large water change - 75%-100% - soon as well. (Aged a day and temperature adjusted.)

This stinks…

-Matt

P.S. Maybe triple check the flow situation too. Use your hand to feel and make sure none of your pumps are running backwards. Looks can sometimes be deceiving (personal experience).

P.P.S. If you have a multimeter, stray voltage can also cause these symptoms. Remember that heaters will only show a problem when they cycle ON.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oowtfmang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly raise Alk by a point and get you water tested for ammonia (free or cheap at abt any LFS) just on principle at this point. Calibrate your refractometer (RODI or even tap water will get you very close to zero) and make sure salinity is what you think. Review your plumbing to make sure no metal parts were used and/or no saltwater is touching them/anything else metal via spray or drips.

You may want to consider a very large water change - 75%-100% - soon as well. (Aged a day and temperature adjusted.)

This stinks…

-Matt

P.S. Maybe triple check the flow situation too. Use your hand to feel and make sure none of your pumps are running backwards. Looks can sometimes be deceiving (personal experience).

P.P.S. If you have a multimeter, stray voltage can also cause these symptoms. Remember that heaters will only show a problem when they cycle ON.

Alk is at 8.3 right now. I already bought a brand new refractometer to make sure my other one wasn't wrong and the old one was completely fine (I also have a 35ppt calibration solution). No metal in my plumbing and I also don't have ammonia in my water. Nothing wrong with powerheads as well. I will check the multimeter tonight.

Thanks for the help mcarroll.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (still recovering) from this as well. Faulty phosphate readings was my issue. My pulsing xenia (which I've always used as a reference point for phosphates) was thriving, hammer and other lps was fine. Sps would RTN or bleach out within 24 hrs. IMO, I'd get the phosphate under control (I recommend high capacity BRS). Start with 1/4 the recommended dose (maybe only 1/8) and do a WC. Test the phosphates each day and have them checked against your numbers at the lfs (if possible). Please don't overdose it to save a few sps, the lps will go into shock. Again, just my opinion. Did you use the old sand as well? Doing so might have started a mini cycle or released the phosphate the sand had in it. GL

Brought to you by a Country Boy utilizing his Evo 4G and the Reef2Reef App

OP
OP
O

oowtfmang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (still recovering) from this as well. Faulty phosphate readings was my issue. My pulsing xenia (which I've always used as a reference point for phosphates) was thriving, hammer and other lps was fine. Sps would RTN or bleach out within 24 hrs. IMO, I'd get the phosphate under control (I recommend high capacity BRS). Start with 1/4 the recommended dose (maybe only 1/8) and do a WC. Test the phosphates each day and have them checked against your numbers at the lfs (if possible). Please don't overdose it to save a few sps, the lps will go into shock. Again, just my opinion. Did you use the old sand as well? Doing so might have started a mini cycle or released the phosphate the sand had in it. GL

Brought to you by a Country Boy utilizing his Evo 4G and the Reef2Reef App

I run GFO. I don't think that my phosphate is especially high at .06 and it's already back at .03. I didnt' reuse sand. I've had some RTN already, maybe lost 5 corals. Others are still bleaching and losnig color.

Decalf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dosing was done with a doser and I kept it online and running right before the tank move and right after the tank move. Of course there was a slight fluctuation in ALK when the tank moved but I continued dosing right away, so it couldn't have gone too low. One thing that is interesting is that my dosing had to be upped from about 24ml/day to about 34 ml/day over the span of the first month because the old amount wasn't keeping up. I find it hard to believe that the corals were taking up that much alkalinity in their stressed state of browning and bleaching so I'm assuming that lots of precipitation was occuring and taken out by the skimmer.

ALk is not used by corals alone. Most of the biological processes in the tank use the ALK in their processes. The reason it needed higher than usual ALK was an increase in the biological processes from moving the tank and sturing up detritius and other items. Any time you release more than usual food sources the tank will drop its ALK until those items have been processed and the extra bacteria go back to normal levels.

OP
OP
O

oowtfmang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk hasn't been bouncing up and down though, so I don't think that's the issue

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back