SPS Corals Have Almost No Color (w/Pictures)

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 tank (roughly 90 gallons total) and have had issues with color on my SPS. My corals have displayed no color and barely any growth - they're very pale in color.. I just checked my phosphate levels using Hanna and they were 0.00. I am carbon dosing with PONOX3 but still have algae issues with detritus on the glass, some on the rocks, and a lot in the sump. These two corals are my worst examples. One is a strawberry shortcake acropora and the other is a red dragon acropora. I used my iPhone to take the pictures so of course, the quality is lousy. I feel it may be too much light since they are at the top of my aquarium but have lowered my two Radion XR30's to 40%. Both of these corals have been in my tank for almost a year and half. Please see the photos below.

IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my current tank. Literally just snapped the picture just in case it helps.
IMG_1295.jpg

Gexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the algae? It may be dinos, in that case you and I are in the same boat. My nitrates are higher (30-50) and phosphates read 0 using salifert test kit. Im trying to raise phosphate by not rinsing my frozen food anymore. A pic would be helpful to ID your algae

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this as well but I had stopped carbon dosing for a month. Once this happened, I had more brown algae issues - detritus I assume?
Stopping may be what has caused it. I just don't like carbon dosing because sps seem to thrive then crash thrive then crash. There is a split second in time where your sps look ahhhmazing, but thats normally right before they die lol. I'd just try something different for nutrient export. A big chamber for chaeto works pretty well for me, though I do clean my glass twice a week.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How are your nitrates and have you had any alkalinity spikes? Also, have you adjusted your lighting? Is there a particular reason for using NOPOX? With zero phosphates, I'm not sure it's needed. Those corals are definitely stressed and have lost nearly all of its color.

Last edited:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other params like, esp. alk/Ca? Getting enough light?

You are getting PE but that seems like way too little growth for a year and a half... should have some no3 and po4, prob should feed a bit more. If that doesn’t help I’d go with an ICP to rule out other things.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red dragon and I believe they like lower par. I keep mine just about an inch or two off the sandbed. The ssc I keep about the middle of my tank. I have no detectable phosphates, my nitrate is at 5.

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following alone. I don't carbon dose but have seen the same issue in my tank. I feed regularly and run a refuigium and have had SPS go from nicely colored when bought to brown to white then die. Hoping someone else has seen this.

Danny Venditti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are getting polyp extension. Do you know what your par ratings are at and I suspect it is a nutrient issue but could be something other then what you're thinking.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How are your nitrates and have you had any alkalinity spikes? Also, have you adjusted your lighting? Is there a particular reason for using NOPOX? With zero phosphates, I'm not sure it's needed. Those corals are definitely stressed and have lost nearly all of its color.
My nitrates are currently 0.00. I just, just ran the test and have attached a picture of my results. I do not have any alkalinity spikes and run my alkalinity at 7.7 dKH. I began using NOPOX because I had brown algae on the glass and some fuzzies on the rocks. And I agree they're stressed, I just cannot figure out why.

IMG_1300.jpg

What are your other params like, esp. alk/Ca? Getting enough light?

You are getting PE but that seems like way too little growth for a year and a half... should have some no3 and po4, prob should feed a bit more. If that doesn’t help I’d go with an ICP to rule out other things.

My calcium is 400-420 and alkalinity is 7.7 dKH. What is ICP?

I have a red dragon and I believe they like lower par. I keep mine just about an inch or two off the sandbed. The ssc I keep about the middle of my tank. I have no detectable phosphates, my nitrate is at 5.

I can give it a try lowering the red dragon to a lower part of the tank. My other SPS are doing okay where they are...meaning, good color but no growth.

you are getting polyp extension. Do you know what your par ratings are at and I suspect it is a nutrient issue but could be something other then what you're thinking.
I do not know of my par ratings unfortunately. I would think too many nutrients too but have 0.00 phosphate AND nitrates.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know someone with a different nitrate test kit you can try? I noticed your using an API kit and I had problems specifically with the nitrate test in that kit. One batch it would show nitrates were always through the roof and then the next kit always showed low to zero. It wasn’t until I stated using a different brand that I realized those kits were way off. I use some of their other tests but not the nitrate.

Icaros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided last year to use NOPOX and it was a mess. Skimmer went bananas no matter what I tried. Then when I gradually stopped all he’ll broker loose. Took forever to get the tank back to normal.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high (intensity) do you run your lights? With no nutrients in your tank and so close to your lights, it seems as if those corals are just dying slowly from starvation. With respect to the algae, are you using rodi water? I would decrease, if not stop, using NOPOX. May need to move those corals down and hope for the best. Lastly, how long has your tank been running?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back