SPS Dominant Nuvo 20

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the reef back in October of 2019. Decided to start a build thread to document progress.
Tank: Nuvo 20
Skimmer: Eshopps nano
Lighting: Hydra 26HD + PrimeHD running a modified AB+ (12h schedule, ramps down to just blues 3 hours before lights turn off)
Return: Sicce Syncra 1.5
Flow: Ai Nero 5 and MP10QDW
Dosing: Jebao DP-4 dosing ESV B-ionic 2 part
ATO: Duetto
Also using intank media baskets, I'm only running chemipure blue and marine pure in the back chambers. I also use Acropower.

Fish:
Pair of Clownfish
Sixline Wrasse
I also have a large variety of clean up crew members.

In terms of coral, I mostly have SPS, specifically Acropora and Montipora.

Coral
SPS:
Montipora setosa
Montipora digitata
Montipora palawanensis (reef raft nauti spiral)
JF aquaman Monti
RR Mistique Monti
Mystic sunset Monti
Red and green grafted Monti cap
Acropora Millepora - green
Strawberry shortcake
Acropora tortuosa (miyagi)
Acropora valida (tri-colour)
RR Pink cadillac
Acropora hoeksami
Random green staghorn
ORA Red planet
Pink pocillopora
Green birdsnest (working on removing it from rockwork)
T. crocea clam

LPS:
RR spicy lemon favia
gold frogspawn
bubble coral
JF Jack-o-lantern lepto

Soft:
WWC AOI (on a plate)

I started the tank with dry rock, so I've had some minor appearances of diatoms/dinos. The corals don't mind, but it's not as appealing to the eye lol. I've had the same thing happen to me with another setup I had running, but as the tank matured it went away. Everything has been growing very well, hopefully in a year or so the tank will really fill in.

IMG_0640.jpg IMG_8878.JPG IMG_9077.jpg IMG_9100.JPG IMG_9103.JPG IMG_9116.JPG IMG_9123.JPG IMG_9113.JPG

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day, looks very promising! You say you run blues only for 3 hours what’s does the rest of the schedule look like?
Thanks! The remainder of the day is running BRS' version of AB+ for hydras. I just adjusted the overall intensity to match my tank. Been very satisfied with the settings. Here's a photo of the schedule

IMG_0641.jpg

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you manage temperature with this tank? I imagine a chiller is not part of the whole nano-tank thing due to costs, space issues and whatever other constraints that are in place. I know you can cool the tank by increasing evaporation but doesn't that just increase humidity in your home?

I know some tanks don't get bothered too much with the usual daily temperature fluctuation but I would think SPS are less accommodating.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you manage temperature with this tank? I imagine a chiller is not part of the whole nano-tank thing due to costs, space issues and whatever other constraints that are in place. I know you can cool the tank by increasing evaporation but doesn't that just increase humidity in your home?

I know some tanks don't get bothered too much with the usual daily temperature fluctuation but I would think SPS are less accommodating.
My home has AC, so the room stays at a cool temperature. Plus I live in Canada, so it stays relatively cool in the summer months lol. All the equipment I use doesn't seem to have an impact on the water temperature. If I was really concerned, a mini fan would probably help.

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home has AC, so the room stays at a cool temperature. Plus I live in Canada, so it stays relatively cool in the summer months lol. All the equipment I use doesn't seem to have an impact on the water temperature. If I was really concerned, a mini fan would probably help.

Mini fan helps as it increases evaporation which will cool the tank. The consequence being whatever water evaporates becomes part of the house's humidity.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini fan helps as it increases evaporation which will cool the tank. The consequence being whatever water evaporates becomes part of the house's humidity.
Of course :), I have yet to need one though. AC keeps the house cool, as well as the tank. I actually run a 150w heater.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an updated tank shot after a water change.
Also tested my levels today. I'm going to try feeding more often to help raise the phosphate to 0.03. Although my coral seem healthy, I'm curious to see if the added nutrients will enhance colouration of the sps.
Alk - 9
Ca - 400
Mg -1350
po4 - 0

REEF.png

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to remove the birdsnest from the rockscape, and I also moved my pink poci to another tank. I've heard they can polyp bailout, so didn't want to run into any problems down the road. Placed an order for a Leng Sy cap as well as a hellfire milli, so those should be coming next week :)

IMG_9767.JPG

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I have the same tank, how do you like the Nero 5? Would one Nero be good enough for a mostly sps tank?

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I have the same tank, how do you like the Nero 5? Would one Nero be good enough for a mostly sps tank?
Thank you! The one nero should suffice for sps, I run mine at around 50% (1300gph). Due to the impeller design, the nero also produces a really wide flow pattern, which is really nice. I just added the mp10 to help with randomizing the flow (less directional).

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a FTS for tonight. Been testing my alk frequently as the tanks consumption has been increasing. Aside from that, there hasn't been much change. Trying to feed more to raise my non existent phos and nitrate levels. The corals have responded well, and the growth has been steady.

IMG_1246.jpg

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated FTS! Nothing all that new here, growth has been steady. Colour has also improved as I'm now w/c every other week so nitrates can be detectable. I picked up a red sea mesh top because my sixline jumped out of the tank. Replaced him with a fairy wrasse. Also picked up a bounce mushroom for a really good deal.

IMG_1942.jpg IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0086.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well taken care of tank! Nice!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back